Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #5201
wcarter1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

heres a pic of my supercarbed apfelwein 2 months in the bottle. Wow, this stuff gets so much better with time. After 1 month in bottles it was slightly carbed with a strong yeast bite and smell and a huge alcohol burn. Now after 2 months in the bottle this stuff has started to lose the yeast bite, the burn is almost gone, and its insanely carbed. I opened up a 1 liter swingtop bottle and it blew off like a bottle of champagne.

Here is a link to a pic.

Warren Carter's Photos | Facebook

Cheers to Ed and his amazing recipe!

bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #5202
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
I'm not a huge fan of white wines in general and to me this tastes like a slightly appley, cheap chardonnay.
Have you carbed it yet? I'm of the same opinion, when it's flat: cheap white wine! However, the carbonation takes it to a whole different place, and it becomes refreshing and very enjoyable.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #5203
RandalG
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cracked open a couple of 5 month old bombers yesterday.This stuff really does get better with age. The apple flavor is really starting to shine through.Also tasted buttery to me. Anyone else notice that?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #5204
masonsjax

Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Quote:
Have you carbed it yet?
Yeah, I carbed it. I don't know, it's definitely dryer than tyour typical hard cider, but it still tastes too sweet to me. I had OG of 1.066, FG 0.996. Maybe I just need to let it age longer, but to me i's similar to some of the cheap local white wines in the MD/VA area, only carbonated. I do like the kick it has, and how simple it is to make, I just wish I loved the flavor as well.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #5205
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
Yeah, I carbed it. I don't know, it's definitely dryer than tyour typical hard cider, but it still tastes too sweet to me. I had OG of 1.066, FG 0.996. Maybe I just need to let it age longer, but to me i's similar to some of the cheap local white wines in the MD/VA area, only carbonated. I do like the kick it has, and how simple it is to make, I just wish I loved the flavor as well.
Give it time.... its an acquired taste for some people. I served this at an event in June and the people raved about how good it was. I had people who lived in Germany for 10+ years tell me its as good if not better than what they drank when they were there. These people were not beer drinkers either, just cider and wine.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #5206
Cincy_Ron
Recipes 

Does anyone know approx how many calories are in a 12 oz. serving? I'm trying to slim down, watch what I eat and all that. I'm guessing at least a couple hundred based on the alcohol content but honestly I have no idea how to figure it out...

Looking forward to that buttery taste I've seen others mention.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #5207
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron View Post
Does anyone know approx how many calories are in a 12 oz. serving? I'm trying to slim down, watch what I eat and all that. I'm guessing at least a couple hundred based on the alcohol content but honestly I have no idea how to figure it out...

Looking forward to that buttery taste I've seen others mention.
If you go back a few pages, you'll find someone asking how many carbs are in this. I posted a calculation showing the approximate residual sugars (I don't remember the result). That'd be a good start for you.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #5208
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Accidentally opened a bottle of this last night.
Returned from long weekend vacation and needed a couple beers to downshift before bed. had a Wit from the keezer and found a bottle of what I thought was an old extract batch I had done with a buddy to show him the process. opened and thought....hmm not much carbonation. Started pouring and thought, man, this thing will not foam at all and hmm..that's wierd, never saw the yeast layer come towards the neck at all. Upon lifting the bottle to look inside I smelled my doom. Whoops. this was the bottle I put in to chill after bottling my apfelwein last week. Only had one 12oz bottle and one beer, but on a very tired body. Son woke me up at 2:30 with either teething pains or a nightmare. Regardless it was hellacious screaming for a half hour and I'd had 2 hours sleep after my Apfelwein. Felt like a full on hangover!!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #5209
RecruitNBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Love the stench!!

Just had to add my 2 cents...

So I mixed up the first batch of Apfelwein and through it in my bedroom closet. The next evening, my wife comes out of our room and asks me, "Did you just let out a bad fart?"

I went into the room and smiled with delight at the sweet sulfuric acid eminating from the airlock. I said, "Honey that is a wonderful smell because it means that the yeast is working hard and doing its job"

She gave me that You're an Idiot look and stomped out of the room. To be nice, I moved it into a hall closet and stuffed a towel under the door to contain the odor. In a sick way, I kind of enjoy the smell because it makes me think of how good the finished product will be. In fact, I'm gonna stuff my head in the closet when I get home tonight.

Disclaimer: She is pregnant, so I did the nice thing and moved it to avoid sleeping on the couch!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #5210
JSherwood
Recipes 

My first two batches smelled horribly (But it's not tough to get used to), however this last batch, made with Safeway brand Apple Juice (No preservatives other than Vitamin C) didn't have much of a smell to it at all. The yeasties are definitely still hard at work though, so that may be an option for some of you who can't stand the smell. It was a bit more expensive, but I was there, and it worked.