Man, I love Apfelwein - Page 168 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #1671
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Central Illinois
Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Ack... dilemma...

I bottled 5 gals 05/19/07.

I have 4 bombers left. (told you I was going thru it faster than I should)

I won't be able to get any Red Star til next weekend, plus since I'll have the house to myself I was planning on cranking out the Honey Hefe and the Irish Red Ale that I've been sitting on for months now.

Not a biggie since the Hefe won't need a secondary, I can take up my one of my 5 gal carboys with a new batch of Apfel and have the other standing by when the IRA is ready to secondary...

The dilemma is that I'll still have 6 more weeks before the next batch of Apfel is ready... Which would put bottling it the weekend of August 18th.

FOUR bombers to get me thru til August 18th?

Sh!t.

I gotta do better on my planning....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 06-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #1672
Whelk
Recipes 

Jan 2007
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ize
Ack... dilemma...

I bottled 5 gals 05/19/07.

I have 4 bombers left. (told you I was going thru it faster than I should)

I won't be able to get any Red Star til next weekend, plus since I'll have the house to myself I was planning on cranking out the Honey Hefe and the Irish Red Ale that I've been sitting on for months now.

Not a biggie since the Hefe won't need a secondary, I can take up my one of my 5 gal carboys with a new batch of Apfel and have the other standing by when the IRA is ready to secondary...

The dilemma is that I'll still have 6 more weeks before the next batch of Apfel is ready... Which would put bottling it the weekend of August 18th.

FOUR bombers to get me thru til August 18th?

Sh!t.

I gotta do better on my planning....

Ize

Here's a good plan: to avoid this ever happening again, buy at least 3 carboys and put up a new batch every month. You can drink it all, right? ...Right?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #1673
Yanos
Alaskan Assassin

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Alaska

Well, I got quite a few people "feeling no pain" this weekend. Had a 5 gal corny of Ed's Apfelwein that was back sweetened with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate. I did some independent research and found this amount of sweetening seemed to appease the masses.

It was for our local wedding reception. I had many compliments. most of the compliments were: "Wow, that's great cider. But I've only had two glasses and am feeling drunk!"

Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #1674
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanos
Well, I got quite a few people "feeling no pain" this weekend. Had a 5 gal corny of Ed's Apfelwein that was back sweetened with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate. I did some independent research and found this amount of sweetening seemed to appease the masses.
When did you back sweeten it in relation to when you served it?

Sounds like a great party!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #1675
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelk
Here's a good plan: to avoid this ever happening again, buy at least 3 carboys and put up a new batch every month. You can drink it all, right? ...Right?
But of course! It pays to have kegs of this carbed & ready for....

When the Keg Blows!!! (sounds like a Soap Opera).

Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #1676
98EXL

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Maryland
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

can you put this in a secondary like beer? Reason being, I'd rather have this sit in cheaper 5 gallon carboy's than 6.5.....or where to get better bottles?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #1677
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
can you put this in a secondary like beer? Reason being, I'd rather have this sit in cheaper 5 gallon carboy's than 6.5.....or where to get better bottles?
Sure, but I make 5 gallons in 5 gallon Carboys. Using my recipe, you can fill it up and not worry about foam or blow off. Rack away to your 5 gallon carboy and while you are at it, start another batch. You'll need it.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #1678
jpsloan

Recipes 

Nov 2006
New Market, MD
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just bottled my first batch of the apfelwein yesterday. The entire experience, from start to bottling, has been practically effortless. I let my wife do the pouring when we put it together, and she had fun doing it.

The final product was super-clear... I could see my hand on the other side of the carboy. The flavor was kind of surprising. It was very clean, mostly dry, and just a hint of the original apple flavor remaining. If anything, I'd say the flavor was a little too understated, but it makes a great summer beverage. I might pull out a bottle or two for the rest of summer, but I plan on letting them sit until fall, when I'll start mulling them.

My wife also thinks they'll make handy Christmas gifts. Now, if I can only find a way to get them to Louisiana on an airplane...

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #1679
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Put them in a box lined with tin foil, keep it in one of the larger bags that you're checking?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #1680
usnsti

Recipes 

Sep 2006
East Dago, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Apfelwein is the shiznit. Also please don't try and use tin foil to block x rays. Tin foil is as transparent to xrays as glass is to your eyes. the only thing that would work is lead. good luck with that one....