HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #11901
Cottonmouth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
What did you boil the sugar in? How much apple juice did you mix in? When did you mix the citric acid in? Thanks!
I boiled 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water and add citric acid before it starts to boil, put that in the bucket and added 6 gallons of apple juice. I believe 1 pound of granulated table sugar = (approx) 2 1/4 cups. I use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid for every pound of sugar.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #11902
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmouth View Post
I boiled 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of water and add citric acid before it starts to boil, put that in the bucket and added 6 gallons of apple juice. I believe 1 pound of granulated table sugar = (approx) 2 1/4 cups. I use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid for every pound of sugar.
Thanks!
Is it finished? How does it compare to the original recipe? What yeast did you use?

Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #11903
Cottonmouth
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
Thanks!
Is it finished? How does it compare to the original recipe? What yeast did you use?

Thanks again.
I used montrachet and hydrated before pitching. I'm not sure there is much difference in the taste between fermented corn and cane sugar. I did use a little more sugar than the original recipe called for. I'm not sure what the ABV is. I didn't have a hydrometer to check the OG. It's only 33 days old and I have to say it's pretty tasty already. Like a dry white wine with just a hint of apple.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #11904
Wulvaine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My higher-ABV batch of apfelwein (OG 1.095) doesn't seem to want to ferment dry; it's been stuck for a weeks, and a week ago I racked and re-pitched with EC-1118. It was down to 1.02 a few weeks ago, and when I pulled a sample tonight it's only gone down to 1.017 or so. I'm cranking the heat in here (it's probably mid-60s) to 75 for a while, and I swirled the carboy in hopes of waking up my lazy yeast, haha. If I can't get it restarted, I don't hate the idea of a 10%ish lightly sweet cider, but that wasn't really what I'd planned. Any ideas?

Whether I get this to ferment dry or not, I think I'm going to rack and oak it with some medium toast French oak cubes for a month or two once I get it off the yeast and see what kind of results I get.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #11905
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

You might try degassing it. With the extra sugar you are making a lot of CO2 in solution which stresses the yeast.

You might also need some yeast enegizer. Apfelwein is pretty much just sugar and you gave it a lot of extra sugar to work through and it might be out of gas.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #11906
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulvaine View Post
My higher-ABV batch of apfelwein (OG 1.095) doesn't seem to want to ferment dry; it's been stuck for a weeks, and a week ago I racked and re-pitched with EC-1118. It was down to 1.02 a few weeks ago, and when I pulled a sample tonight it's only gone down to 1.017 or so. I'm cranking the heat in here (it's probably mid-60s) to 75 for a while, and I swirled the carboy in hopes of waking up my lazy yeast, haha. If I can't get it restarted, I don't hate the idea of a 10%ish lightly sweet cider, but that wasn't really what I'd planned. Any ideas?

Whether I get this to ferment dry or not, I think I'm going to rack and oak it with some medium toast French oak cubes for a month or two once I get it off the yeast and see what kind of results I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
You might try degassing it. With the extra sugar you are making a lot of CO2 in solution which stresses the yeast.

You might also need some yeast enegizer. Apfelwein is pretty much just sugar and you gave it a lot of extra sugar to work through and it might be out of gas.
Yep yep. Give it a degassing. Raise the temp. Do the hokie pokie. If that doesn't work... Relax. If you are going to oak it for a couple months or more anyway it will probably finish then. Generally a "stuck" fermentation is less stuck and more slow. If you still don't have what you think is FG after oaking, then I would suggest bottle pasteurizing. More for safety then anything else.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #11907
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've hit the two month mark and oddly enough I still have 5 bottles still and another full 5 gallons in carbed in bottles completely untouched. I think I'm going to bulk age this by racking it to get it off of the yeast. I want to let it sit another 2 months before bottling. I think I may add some oak to it too. Would you guys recommend adding anything to it when I rack it. K-Meta (campden) or Sorbate? Or ahould I just rack it and leave it with no worries?

Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #11908
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts

I just bottled 5 gal. that's been sitting in the secondary since Dec 27th! It tasted wonderful and was soooo clear. I have another 5 gal. yet to bottle from the same date.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #11909
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF
I just bottled 5 gal. that's been sitting in the secondary since Dec 27th! It tasted wonderful and was soooo clear. I have another 5 gal. yet to bottle from the same date.
Did you just rack it to secondary or did you add k-meta or anything to it?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #11910
jstampler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just racked off of the yeast and topped up with about 32oz more apple juice. I assume this will start fermentation again for a bit? I plan on leaving this sit at least another 2 months. Will it be okay without adding anything to it?