Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #10891
HessenHelles
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 409
Liked 316 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default

I was at walmart today, and I noticed they had 3 quart jugs of apple juice on sale. So, I filled the cart with them. I will get a 5 gallon batch going when I get some yeast. My question is. Can I sub the dextrose for Brown sugar? I have 2 pounds on hand.


HessenHelles is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #10892
Thursday88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8
Likes Given: 2

Default

Just started a batch of this last night. Used Mott's, Montrachet yeast, and Wyeast nutrient and it is chugging away at the moment. Thanks for the recipe Edwort.


Thursday88 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #10893
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: !, !
Posts: 1,262
Liked 81 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HessenHelles View Post
I was at walmart today, and I noticed they had 3 quart jugs of apple juice on sale. So, I filled the cart with them. I will get a 5 gallon batch going when I get some yeast. My question is. Can I sub the dextrose for Brown sugar? I have 2 pounds on hand.
Yes you can use brown sugar,you can use any fermentable sugar you like or none at all. The batch I made with brown sugar came out very good.
BrewerBear is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #10894
HopHeaven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 183
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Well I bottled my first batch last night and drank 3 bottles...needless to say I started a second batch. This time I added a half cup of raisins soaked in Pinot Nior for some added mouth feel but mainly as yeast nutrient. Here's to another 5 gallons of this delishness!
__________________
Primary: JAOM, RiceWine. Wine soaked raisin Apfelwein

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider
HopHeaven is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #10895
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
klnosaj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 442
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I just found a 3 gallon carboy of apfelwine that I started in June of last year. I'm thinking of adding a 1/4 packet of Champagne yeast along with a healthy amount of priming sugar and finally getting it into bottles. I'm also thinking that it's sat too long already on the yeast and I should just dump it all. Any experiences anyone would care to share along these lines?
klnosaj is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #10896
KBentley57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 244
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Why would you dump it? All it is going to cost you to bottle it is a cup of sugar, a pack of yeast and a little time. Bottle that and let it carb right away! If it turns out terrible in a few months, well, then you should have dumped it .
KBentley57 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #10897
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnosaj View Post
I just found a 3 gallon carboy of apfelwine that I started in June of last year. I'm thinking of adding a 1/4 packet of Champagne yeast along with a healthy amount of priming sugar and finally getting it into bottles. I'm also thinking that it's sat too long already on the yeast and I should just dump it all. Any experiences anyone would care to share along these lines?
.....Taste some first. It will probably be fantastic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.
Leadgolem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #10898
RosieTheGreat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 12
Default

So started some of this about a week ago.

I used pressed apples instead of juice, put a camden tablet and waited 36 hours before pitching, also used brown sugar.

OG 1.052

For the first 4 days real activity, with bubbles every 2-3 seconds.

Now at day 6 almost no activity, but did fermet down to about .999.

Anything wrong with this?

Also how long can i leave this in the carboy before bottling it? i.e. at what point will the yeast die and be unable to bottle carbonate?
RosieTheGreat is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #10899
high5apparatus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 278
Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

I had a bourbon barrel aged apple cider tonight and it has me thinking of throwing some bourbon soaked oak chips into my current batch.
__________________
Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067
high5apparatus is offline
Leadgolem Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #10900
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 3,719
Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTheGreat View Post
So started some of this about a week ago.

I used pressed apples instead of juice, put a camden tablet and waited 36 hours before pitching, also used brown sugar.

OG 1.052

For the first 4 days real activity, with bubbles every 2-3 seconds.

Now at day 6 almost no activity, but did fermet down to about .999.

Anything wrong with this?

Also how long can i leave this in the carboy before bottling it? i.e. at what point will the yeast die and be unable to bottle carbonate?
I don't think anything is wrong. I had a batch hit FG in 8 days last summer. Your batch probably fermented kinda hot. It was summer when I had the batch finish in 8 days, but I had a much higher OG of 1.110.

How long can you keep it on the yeast? .... I'm not sure exactly. A long time. As in six months or more. The yeast is going to take a nap when it runs out of food, but it usually takes some effort to actually kill it.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy
I'd rather work with yeast than work with people.
Leadgolem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love The (Edwort's) Apfelwein solidghost Home Brewing Photo Forum 34 03-01-2013 02:56 PM
newbie to forum, love making wine etc. Apfelwein? Liah Cider Forum 11 12-31-2009 07:33 AM
My first EdWorts Apfelwein (Love is in the air) Hoggy General Beer Discussion 15 04-16-2009 03:55 AM
Oh MAN, I love my Apfelwein PeteOz77 Wine Making Forum 4 07-18-2008 10:36 PM
GOD I LOVE Apfelwein FSR402 Wine Making Forum 2 02-22-2008 01:47 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS