Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #10331
booherbg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I applaud your courage with the cloves. I'd be curious to see how that cidercyserapfelwein turns out. I will guess it will be a bit clovey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerBear View Post
I agree 8 cloves will definitely put the clove flavor in it.
Thanks. I had 5, and then smelled the boiling mix and it wasn't noticeable so I added three more just to be safe. Should be good!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #10332
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have made multiple batches of apfelwein, all with good success. This last batch was 5 gallons of juice with 5 cans of apple juice concentrate instead of the sugar. fermented for 4 months and bottled with priming sugar. After a month, it is sour! and not carbed. I never saw signs of infection, but it has to be. All the previous batches were dry but not puckery. I guess it is going down the drain. If mixed with sugar it is "ok." It might make a decent marinade for meat or something. Very dissapointing.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #10333
DerekJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

EdWort, your famous. Check this out http://www.facebook.com/winemakingtalk

Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #10334
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWard View Post
I have made multiple batches of apfelwein, all with good success. This last batch was 5 gallons of juice with 5 cans of apple juice concentrate instead of the sugar. fermented for 4 months and bottled with priming sugar. After a month, it is sour! and not carbed. I never saw signs of infection, but it has to be. All the previous batches were dry but not puckery. I guess it is going down the drain. If mixed with sugar it is "ok." It might make a decent marinade for meat or something. Very dissapointing.
If mixed with sugar and it's still good I would let it ride for a couple more weeks if not longer and see how it comes out.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #10335
GNBrews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerWard View Post
Apple juice concentrate sometimes contains Vitamin C, which is quite sour. When you remove the sugar, you're left with the sour part.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #10336
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so maybe it didn't get infected. I was hoping the apple juice concentrate would have given more apple like flavor. In stead just get sour. Also it has been sitting at room temp for a month, with no real signs of carbonation. I left it on the yeast a while before bottling. Could the vitamin c be inhibiting the yeast for carbonation? Thanks for the encouragement. I don't need the bottles, so I can let it sit for a while.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #10337
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Today is roughly 7 weeks in primary and I noticed that it only now looks like it's clearing. At 5 and 6 weeks it was still pretty cloudy. How clear does this get anyway? Does it get as clear as store bought apple juice?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #10338
Jboyles123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, it will clear like the original juice was.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10339
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I made a batch today from "memory". It has been about 5 years since I have made any home brew or hardcider/apple wine. I used 5 gallons of apple cider, 4 lbs dextrose and 1 packet of Montrachet wine yeast....

Needless to say memory and numbers where a bit off with the dextrose! I am going to ferment it out anyways. Has any one used this much sugar before? How did it turn out if you did? Should I add another packet of yeast?

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #10340
SmokingTony
Recipes 

Mine's been in the bottle for about 3 months now. I fermented for a month. I find it really has no flavor. I am drinking some now mixed with apple flavored soda, and it is to my liking. I still have about 40 bottles, so we'll see how it improves with age. I am not expecting flavor to develop. Truth be told, I was hoping for something sweet, but I was not expecting something flavorless. I've read that I was wrong to expect it to be sweet, but I have also read others say that it lacks flavor.