Man, I love Apfelwein - Page 1020 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #10191
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 
 
May 2012
, ok
Posts: 873
Liked 134 Times on 103 Posts


I doubt you really need nutrient or energizer. Four lbs is not that much. A lot of wine uses ten pounds pf sugar. 1118 will plow a deep forough. Mike



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #10192
ianoconnor
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Boom, just got my first batch going! So much great info in this thread. Thanks EdWort & everyone else for the input.

I had an extra 64oz apple juice so I made a 5.5 gallon batch, other than that, followed the recipe precisely.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #10193
chipsmcghee
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Arlington, ME
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer View Post
I doubt you really need nutrient or energizer. Four lbs is not that much. A lot of wine uses ten pounds pf sugar. 1118 will plow a deep forough. Mike
This is what I was hoping. I am hoping that the 1118 will take care of the problem for me. If it tastes too alcoholic I will just cut it with apple juice. I will post taste results in mid October

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #10194
jagec
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 105
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsmcghee View Post
This is what I was hoping. I am hoping that the 1118 will take care of the problem for me. If it tastes too alcoholic I will just cut it with apple juice. I will post taste results in mid October
Normal apfelwein is about 8%. Yours will be about 10%. Give it some extra time to age, but I doubt that it will be intolerable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #10195
rideincircles
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 280
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


I ended up starting my first batch of apfelwein on Sunday. I ended up 7 ounces short on sugar at 25 ounces and also boiled 3 cinnamon sticks and a clove and added to primary.

Should I add the extra 7 ounces of sugar? I won't be able to hit the brew store until Saturday if so. How will 7 ounces of sugar short affect this? I'm assuming less alcohol content.

I didn't check my gravity either. Not terribly concerned at this point, but I am guessing I am a point or two below 1.066 to start.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #10196
porcupine73
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Posts: 813
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts


Nice, I just got a very small batch going. I found a gallon of organic apple juice at the store in a glass bottle, so I bought it, poured a little out, poured in some sugar, and added some champagne yeast. She's bubbling away right now. I know I need to get more started now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #10197
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Upstate, NY
Posts: 162
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Used a different champagne yeast this time almost had a blow off... I caught it in time and carefully removed some of it from the carboy to give a little more breathing room, and added new starsan to the airlock after cleaning it out. Did I make it too full? It was really close to as full as possible. Maybe I was pushing my luck, or maybe montrachet is just less bubbly. I have another very full carboy of juice and sugar just waiting for yeast, wonder what I should use.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #10198
NHowell16
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Vancouver, BC
Posts: 10

I have a question about the carbonating process (Sorry if it's already been answered... I couldn't seem to find the info)

When you say you add the extra sugar before bottling, like you would when carbonating beer, how exactly does that work? Do you add the sugar directly to the primary fermenter, or do you add a bit into each bottle?

Also, with the amount of sugar in the recipe that you add for carbonation, is there any risk of the bottles exploding from the pressure?

Thanks! Can't wait to try this out next week!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #10199
porcupine73
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Posts: 813
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts


I believe the extra sugar would go directly into the bottle. Bottle explosion is always a real risk in this case. If you add it to the primary ferementer most likely the yeasts will eat it unless you have so much sugar they die off from the alcohol level.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #10200
RugerRedhawk
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Upstate, NY
Posts: 162
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16 View Post
I have a question about the carbonating process (Sorry if it's already been answered... I couldn't seem to find the info)

When you say you add the extra sugar before bottling, like you would when carbonating beer, how exactly does that work? Do you add the sugar directly to the primary fermenter, or do you add a bit into each bottle?

Also, with the amount of sugar in the recipe that you add for carbonation, is there any risk of the bottles exploding from the pressure?

Thanks! Can't wait to try this out next week!
Do you have a bottling bucket? Ideally you would transfer yoru wine to a bottling bucket. Then add dissolved sugar to the bottling bucket and stir well before bottling.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love The (Edwort's) Apfelwein solidghost Home Brewing Photo Forum 34 03-01-2013 02:56 PM
newbie to forum, love making wine etc. Apfelwein? Liah Cider Forum 11 12-31-2009 07:33 AM
My first EdWorts Apfelwein (Love is in the air) Hoggy General Beer Discussion 15 04-16-2009 03:55 AM
Oh MAN, I love my Apfelwein PeteOz77 Winemaking Forum 4 07-18-2008 10:36 PM
GOD I LOVE Apfelwein FSR402 Winemaking Forum 2 02-22-2008 01:47 PM


Forum Jump