Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Just bottled a beer I have little hope for...

Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Just bottled a beer I have little hope for...

...sigh....

IMPORTANT EDIT: FG was 1.036, not OG....

FG was 1.036. The recipe was my first attempt at developing my own, and I WAY over spiced and put way too much molasses in. It is extremely sweet, and has a hot alcohol taste from fermenting at 78F.

Its been sitting in secondary for 3 months, because I didn't feel like doing anything with it, but I need the carboy now, so I threw it in the bottles. Maybe after it's carbed up and chilled, it'll be a little more drinkable.

I just wanted to vent, and to see if anyone can give me a bit of hope. Maybe a story of a beer you thought had no hope of drinkability that actually turned out pretty good. Something to make me feel better about temporarily sacrificing 48 bottles.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

There's a whole thread of stories right here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Also my 1.090 Belgian strong took three months to carb up and at nearly a year is finally losing it's hot alcohol taste.....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
CalmYourself
Recipes 

I've got a batch of beer that I call the "drink-this-after-drinking-a-few-other-decent-beers-so-you-can't-tell-how-bad-this-actually-is" beer. Pretty awful, but I don't need the bottles and it does actually seem to be getting better with time

Primary: Nothing
On Tap: Cream of 3 Crops Ale

http://nochillbrews.blogspot.com/

Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
norwegiangeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm doing this same thing tomorrow. It's my second batch of beer, and was an all-grain attempt at a jalapeņo something or other. I went pretty far off the recipe and it just didn't seem to ferment that well.

On the plus side, I brewed up the Two Hearted clone that's on this forum and it smells beautiful and is bubbling away like mad. Moving on.
rushbattle Likes This 
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmYourself View Post
I've got a batch of beer that I call the "drink-this-after-drinking-a-few-other-decent-beers-so-you-can't-tell-how-bad-this-actually-is" beer. Pretty awful, but I don't need the bottles and it does actually seem to be getting better with time
This is how I plan to consume any F-ups.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i've got a similar batch... i got a little crazy with some fruit, wanted a golden ale with a hint of berry flavor for the summer... ended up with with more of a purple skittle beer. But after about 6 months in the back of the bottle closet, it's manageable, and has faded from purple to almost copper colored.

We'll see how it is in the summer i guess.

inhbc.org

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Chudz
Recipes 

Quote:
"purple skittle beer" -- BA from GA
This had me cracking up. It sounds like the kind of beer you'd be buying smurfette, hoping to get lucky.

How much sudz could a Sudz Chudz chugz, if a Sudz Chudz could chugz sudz?

Beer: It's a glassful of Happiness!