Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Adding raisins

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texron View Post
Chopping raisons is about the biggest PIA I have run across. With every "chop" yopu have to scrape the raison bits off the blade. I am thinking about trying different methods to see if I can come up with a better way of doing it. One thought I want to try is to freeze the raisons and then chop them in a food processor will still hard.
I'm not a chef or anything but I do cook--alot! and when I chop garlic it sticks to the blade too- but I learned to add any salt that the recipe needs to the garlic when I chop it and it doesn't stick to the blade as much.
So, if you're going to chop sticky raisins, I am thinking that you could sprinkle just some regular cane/beet sugar to the raisins and it should help with the sticking, I'll let ya know if it works as I am going to get my wine going this afternoon!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1604 Times on 959 Posts
Likes Given: 4119

I put raisins in the blender with a little water (boiled & cooled) & puree them, I don't think it adds any more to the lees than just chopping them does. It's quick, it's easy & it works. Regards, GF.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
cbw
Recipes 

I am in the process of fining and clarifying a 6 gallon batch of Cabernet Sauvignon to which I added 1 pound of Zante Currants.

Way to early to tell, but it appears to have added some body to the Cab (I've made this kit before and it seemed a little thin).

Problem is, however, there is a white oily, waxy film on top of the bulk-aging wine in the carboy.

Looking online, this apparently is a problem with adding raisins ... don't know if the film is a wax ... or vegetable oil ... or just natural grape seed oil. But I'm convinced the film is the result of adding the raisins.

Don't think it will be a problem ... and should be easily to siphon my way around it (under it) in subsequent rackings.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
cbw
Recipes 

Oh, forgot to add ... like a dummy, I didn't wash, rinse, boil the raisins ... just opened the box and dumped them in.

In hindsight, this was probably the wrong way to add them.

I contacted Sunmaid directly and asked if they put wax or vegetable oil to their Zante Currants during processing and received the predictable "No". However, looking online (again) I find that manufacturers often add wax and/or veggie oil to the raisins to keep them from clumping.

If I add again, I will wash ... and like others, maybe even boil first ... then rinse, then add.

I do think I'll be able to float the oil off the wine ... it's really just a little bit ... but anytime I see something floating on top of my wine, I panic.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Yan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

get it cold and it will probably be easier to skim off.