Bottled the double chocolate oatmeal stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottled the double chocolate oatmeal stout

Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

As the title says I bottled the chocolate oatmeal today. I ended up with only 46 bottles due to having some oily blobs floating on top of the beer. I siphoned under it and left quite a bit of beer in the carboy. I am sure the oil was due to me using the wrong chocolate ( I used hersheys cocoa powder which has 1/2 gram of fat per serving and I think the oil was the fat) Hopefully through two rackings I got all of it out. Now has anyone ever made ths recipe ( cheshrecats) I know I spelled that wrong probably.......Anyway has anyone put this over orange peel for a week prior to bottling? I tasted it and for some reason it seemed like a hint of orange would set it off.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I am brewing this on Black Friday but I am using a brand of cocoa that has 0.00 fat/gram.

Brew it again and add the orange peel and let us know. I bet though, you will be satisfied with what comes out after it has bottle conditioned.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 

Jun 2009
St. Louis
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this a couple of months ago and just cracked open my first bottle this past weekend. It is a great recipe. I used the Hershey's Cocoa and had great results.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio

My dad was here when I bottled it ( He wanted to see how I did everything as he has been enjoying the free beer lol) Anyway he tasted the half bottle I had extra and he got a funny " that tastes like crap" look on his face then he got a little grin ..then he said " DAMN, WHEN THAT AIN'T FLAT IT IS GONNA BE GOOD" .... I think it is gonna be good as is, but the idea of the orange peel intrigued me.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
josiahcox
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Bellingham
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've just kegged my try at his recipe. It tased pretty great going into the keg. Orange peel..... Hmmmmm that might be good or it might be a bomb. I'd say give it a try. That could come out super tasty.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio

I had a few bottles of this in the trunk of the car in anticipation of a beer swap that didn't materialize...They were COOOLD so I thought why not....I was determined to wait until right before christmas to chill em but I did pop one open last night and it is still uncarbed as I was anticipating but it is WAY better than I expected......to be honest I brewed this because my daughter in law asked me to.. now I wish I had made more.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
rca
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Sugar Land

Which recipe did you use? This sounds great.

Ron

Old 12-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
Which recipe did you use? This sounds great.

Ron
Cheshre cats recipe. It is in his profile I think.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
ChshreCat
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts

it's over there
<--------------------

And I"m glad you liked it, Steve. Mine were drinkable right from the time they carbed so I'm not surprised they were good to go. They'll get better still, though.