Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bochet Mead (burnt mead)

Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #141
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post
I imagine it will taste just like a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in many ways, except without any bitterness or malt flavour, and a boost of caramel flavour.
How funny never thought of it like that but that is how mine tastes. Good luck with yours.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #142
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
How funny never thought of it like that but that is how mine tastes. Good luck with yours.
Thanks. Not sure if you saw one of my earlier posts, but I did actually ferment with 3787 Trappist High Gravity. It's definitely a lot stronger in flavours than a BDSA; the outdoor fermentation conditions gave it some strong fruit and spice, and the fact I used Australian (eucalyptus) honey will give it another strong counterpoint to the fruit, spice, floral and caramel. Can't wait.

3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter (on palm sugar)
Autumn Wheat Beer (on "Profruit Krimsonberries")
3787 Bochet
Jack Keller's Seville Orange Wine
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Blackberry Wine or Bochet
Stout Bochet

Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #143
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've read this article before but just now I thought of the possibilities it holds for cooking the honey for bochet making:

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com.au/201...weve-been.html
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet

Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #144
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My brewing buddy has been begging me to make an open flame beer or something else. I'm thinking camp fire in the back yard, a whole bunch of cheap honey and a dutch oven will make for an interesting bochet like the dude in the youtube video.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #145
Meadiator
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This sounds interesting. I'm going to try this as soon as possible.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #146
Pith
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Alright, it's been sitting for 14 months now. Eucalypt honey, cooked to a deep burgundy, fermented with Trappist High Gravity, FG 1.000. Tasted it again just now and the rocket fuel flavour has subsided much more but not completely. It's very vinous and quite austere, actually. Nowhere near as sweet as I was expecting but definitely more than I'd expect from a regular mead, obviously.

The other flavours are pretty nice but all it really is is a unique drink; not a lot of pickoutable flavours. No strong caramel/toffee/marshmallow character. It's definitely drinkable now, if not fantastic. I will let it age for even longer. It helps that it's being stored at my parent's house which I only visit infrequently (e.g. now).

To future brewers of bochet I would recommend letting the honey go quite black before adding the water. I was afraid it would burn so I took it off when it was a very dark red. The final product is only really medium red though, and I think it would be drinkable much sooner if I had the residual sweetness from extra caramelisation. Alternatively, I'd use a yeast with lower attenuation.
3787 Bochet
Bottled:
Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale
Autumn Wheat Beer
3787 Saaz/Styrian Porter
3787 Bochet
3787 Dubbel
Wild Cyser
Future:
Stella-hopped Saison
Stout Bochet

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #147
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Depends on the outcome, but bochet really begins to shine after 1+years of age. It also benefits from plenty of oak for a good structure and aging potential. Made plenty and while I don't go totally black I usually keep it in the nice dark red/mahogany hue, just because it makes it less blackened mashmallow-y in flavor and the real depth of caramel/burnt flavors come out. The video, while informative, is a tad dated and foolish (not to mention no followup as to how burning the ever-loving crap out of the honey tastes, carcinogenic I imagine ) You can easily just caramelize the honey to your preferred level and brew it without the cast iron and the open flames getting ashes into the honey while you make it.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #148
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I ended up cooking mine to a deep deep red/ black and its aged back into a beautiful deep ruby.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #149
kev
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm planning on brewing some myself real soon. I will only be making about 1.5 gallons with 4# of honey. How long do you think it will take to burn off the moister in the honey? I've been real busy with work and I'm trying to plan it out time wise. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Kev
P.S. I plan on using my gas brewing rig to do it. No open fires for me.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #150
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pith View Post

To future brewers of bochet I would recommend letting the honey go quite black before adding the water. I was afraid it would burn so I took it off when it was a very dark red. The final product is only really medium red though, and I think it would be drinkable much sooner if I had the residual sweetness from extra caramelisation. Alternatively, I'd use a yeast with lower attenuation.
That's why the joke is when it's getting black and you're so scared you want to turn it off...wait 10 minutes more.

We've done a tasting of the batch I made every year at national homebrew day. Just tasted it after 3 years, in the presence of some serious mead makers including a couple pros, and it is always a big anticipation.

And it's amazing...everyone raves about it.

Have one more bottle left for next May.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew