Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First time kit: sanitizer and should I age longer than instructions?

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
cdanprice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time kit: sanitizer and should I age longer than instructions?

I'm a homebrewer trying my hand at wine making. I'm making Selection's Cab/Merlot, and first off I noticed that the instructions say to sanitize with metabisulfate. Any reason I can't use starsan here? I've got a bottle of campden tablets, but would rather use my starsan for sanitizing the fermenter/equipment.

Also, the kit instructions say that if I want to age longer than 6 months, that I need to add more metabisulfate to prevent oxidation. When they say "age longer than 6 months" are they referring to aging in the fermenter, or in the bottle? Is there any advantage to aging in the fermenter for longer than the instructions say?

Finally-I got a good deal on a ton of #9 corks, will the colonna corker handle #9's ok? My beer bottle capper is on it's last leg, and I hear the colonna will do both beer and wine, so I'd like to go that route...

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
outdoorsmadness
Recipes 

use any sanitizer you want and youll be fine

Old 11-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

the campden tablets are for sanitizing the must not the equipment. add 1 tablet per gallon and wait 24 hours then aerate and pitch yeast. the recomendation the kit provides is for all aging. bulk ageing in a secondary for longer will result in a more consistant wine in all bottles.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The longer you ferment, the better it'll be, generally. All wines improve with age
Considering you're a new brewer, much like myself, I wouldn't age for longer because you'll quite simply want to try it and get your next wine on the go!
Be careful with capping, a bad cap can mean a spoiled bottle. If in doubt, do something safer.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

star san is fine for wine making (and mead making).

i wouldn't fret on the extra sulfites either, even if you age for 2 years. Reason: I have 6 bottles of mead from 10 years ago, no sulfites or sorbates added. All of them are still perfectly drinkable, not spoiled and not oxidized in the least. And they had natural corks.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
mmadmikes1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Please do not cap your wine Cork it. I personally do sulfate when I bottle just to help control oxidation during bottling . in a 6 gallon batch of wine I will add an additional 1/4 teaspoon. Just dont drink next day. give it a week lololol