Czech Premium Pale Lager BoPils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
W-34/70
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~21 @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
~3 Months @ 32F
Tasting Notes
Rich malt, with a spizy hop nose that comes through in the flavor.
Bohemian Pilsner
Mash: Hochkurz Double Decoction
OG:1.050
FG:1.009
SRM: 3*
IBU: 38
ABV: 5.2%
10lbs Bohemian Pilsner
.75oz Gr. Magnum @ 10.4% 90min
1oz Cz. Saaz @ 3.0% 20mins
.5oz Cz. Saaz @ 3.0% 10mins
.5oz Cz. Saaz @ 3.0% 0mins
Yeast: W-34/70

Turned out a bit drier than I had hoped, next time I will raise the strike temp a bit or perhaps a classic double decoction with a protein rest and a longer decoction. I'm thinking the Hochkurz may not be ideal for this style.
I cheated a bit with the magnum bittering addition, but I cannot taste the difference between that and an all saaz pils.

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear about the Magnum hops working out. Any other high alpha hops that you think might be OK for the initial bittering addition. I just brewed 10 gal. of a BoPils earlier this week and used 8 oz of Saaz for just bittering,,,,,,,, between that and the later additions I had a lot of hops to deal with. Using a higher alpha for bittering would really help.

Thanks,

Moe

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear about the Magnum hops working out. Any other high alpha hops that you think might be OK for the initial bittering addition. I just brewed 10 gal. of a BoPils earlier this week and used 8 oz of Saaz for just bittering,,,,,,,, between that and the later additions I had a lot of hops to deal with. Using a higher alpha for bittering would really help.

Thanks,

Moe

I would make sure it's not an american hop. Try to stay within profile and low cohumulone would be ideal.

Yep. Glad to see someone else uses Magnum like I do for that big punch up front. Why use 3oz of Saaz when you can use 1oz of Magnum???? Your hop schedule is almost exactly what I did on my last Czech Pils and also the one Im doing this weekend.

Latest posts

Back