Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple - Page 99 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #981
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Gonzales, Louisiana
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Brewing this again in the next week or so.
Sounds like the perfect beer for my 50th birthday in april.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #982
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 132 Times on 108 Posts

This sounds like a perfect beer to throw in my rum barrel after my imperial stout is out of the barrel. Of couse I'll have do to about 16 gal worth to fill the barrel. Talk about a spendy barrel fill! I'll have to mash it high and use some nice brett. Sure it won't be true to the original but brett just gets my juices flowing, what can I say.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #983
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I think mines done, at 1.010. I'm going to cut the heat and let it sit on the cake for 2 more weeks, then it's getting transferred to a 6 gallon carboy for the lagering phase.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #984
ultravista
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts

How long have you had it @ 86F? I guess I'll break tradition and take a gravity reading tomorrow to see where it's at. This will be a first. Of all the beers I've brewed, the only readings I take are pre-yeast and post-ferment. I leave everything in the carboy for 3-4 weeks.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #985
Brewskii

Recipes 

May 2011
Williamsburg, Va
Liked 127 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista
How long have you had it @ 86F? I guess I'll break tradition and take a gravity reading tomorrow to see where it's at. This will be a first. Of all the beers I've brewed, the only readings I take are pre-yeast and post-ferment. I leave everything in the carboy for 3-4 weeks.
By my calc's...Bomber had it in the 80's (86) for 'round 10 days or so before declaring it FG @ 1.010 and letting it cool to ambient temp starting today.

I assume once it's in the 60's the next step would be to rack to secondary and age it in the 60's for a little while (?) ....just guessing about that.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #986
Hanso
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Madison, WI
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI

We use FM-15's so I can't comment on how plastic buckets work. 80-81F with Westmalle has never given us fusels over brewing this for the last 2+ years. It's not really a matter of "belief" as much as scientific and empirical evidence. Saq has been following BLAM to the letter on method (68F-82F 4-6 days) and has never had fusels as far as I know. His ale beat out a Westvleteren 12 and BJCP judges would have certainly dinged him way down for fusels.

We set to peak at 80-81F every time. According to White Labs 78F should also be producing fusels. Could this possibly be some other problem?
So this little debate seems unclear. g-star sounds convincing and is in line with conventional "low temps reduce off flavors" line of thought. However CSI brings a lot of experience and is in line with BLAM and the original recipe posted here. I wonder if you're both right and it has something to do with differences in process. Are you both using exactly the same strain? Are we sure that westmalle strains from WLP and Wyeast are truly the same? Could it have something to do with fermenter shape or size? I've got a 7 gallon stainless conical and could get either westmalle strains. Wondering if anyone else could weigh in...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #987
ultravista
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hanso, good questions. I've read (and re-read) this entire topic.

I am leaning heavily towards saq and CSI as they have perfected the recipe and processes since its genisis on 11-19-2009.

g-star had points deducted for higher fermentation temperatures (and byproducts derived) while many others have done very well following the same process.

At the homebrew scale, would the fermenter size & shape have an material consequence?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #988
g-star
Recipes 

Feb 2010
PA
Liked 152 Times on 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
I am leaning heavily towards saq and CSI as they have perfected the recipe and processes since its genisis on 11-19-2009.

g-star had points deducted for higher fermentation temperatures (and byproducts derived) while many others have done very well following the same process.
You should really try it both ways on your own system with your process, and draw your own conclusions. You'll learn about this fascinating strain and how to get it to behave as you like.

I know the OP and others claim success with fast/furious/hot fermentations, but I have not been able to get satisfactory results following that path. My version turned out better using a less aggressive approach, both to my taste and in objective scoring. Keep in mind other respected brewers (like Jamil Z) also have success with a more measured temperature profile.

Enter multiple versions into competition and see how they score. Sometimes objective feedback is best; pre-conceived notions/expectations can color self-evaluations.

ultravista Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #989
ultravista
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada

g-star, where in PA are you? I grew-up in Newville and lived in Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg, Camp Hill, Carlisle, and New Cumberland.

I was back in PA in August.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #990
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Lucid Dream Land
Liked 132 Times on 108 Posts

I am in the high temp camp. I used a 84-86 temp to finish, then a long period at room temp, and then anther 5 weeks in my fridge. The beer took BOS at a Belgian only comp with 90ish entrants. I leave my fermentor open during the first few days of fermentation which helps reduce esters a little from the high temps. I have also gone without aeration and instead gave the Olive oil method a go. The results were very nice with the OO.

CB_in_Tokyo Likes This