Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #501
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 11 Posts

The fermentation temp and schedule is dictated by the Westmalle yeast.
You can't make this beer with Nottingham, it will end up a completely different beer too sweet and boring from lacking any of the Belgian esters that are required for making a quadrupel.
Making a beer like this with English yeast will have it kind of end up like an overly sweet old ale, both from the higher finishing gravity but also a low bitterness level. If you were to up the IBUs to 50-60 it'd probably be pretty good, but again we are talking a totally different beer either way that wouldn't resemble this beer at all.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #502
jpoder
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

what are you looking to get from this? it will definitely not be a quad...much less Westy 12, but different strokes for blah blah blah. If you want to have that delicious quad flavor, you really need to use a trappist yeast to produce that ester profile.

I'm not saying that using Notty will make a bad beer, but not a westy 12 clone. Notty will ferment clean in the lower 60's (no Belgian esthers) and may produce fusel alcohol flavors in the high-end of the temperature range (or if you pitch an inadequate amount of yeast).

if you are looking for a dry yeast, at least consider using T-58 (not really the right stuff, but more right than Notty).

Best of luck!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #503
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabar View Post
I was wondering...how long do you age this in the bottle before it really starts to shine?
I really wanted to comment on this because after seeing this thread pop up I decided I would grab a bottle and pop it open for tasting last night. I brewed on June 5, 2011.

I really liked the beer "young" from the start, but it was good, not the best beer ever. Based on the cost of the grain bill I pretty much was leaning on the, not going to brew again any time soon. In the begining the alc flavors were there but not overbearing. There was dark fruit, but not overbearing. Good brew, but $$ to brew (I did the new world).

So pan ahead to 6 months later when I cracked a bottle open last night. WOW. I have never seen a beer change this much over time.

When i poured into the glass I could smell a pronounced aroma, without even smelling the rim closely, this aroma lifted up an out readily where my face was about 2-3 feet away and I thought... Sh!T it oxidized and that must be sherry notes. I took a closer smell and it was not, dark fruit, toffee and a slight almost roasty (burnt toffee roasty, slight coffee). I figured what the heck I will chew on it so I took a sip. Flavor was incredibly smooth. Alcohol flavor was not pronounced and it was incredibly... incredibly smooth. Rich dark fruit (sweet bing cherry reduced in cognac) and carmel toffee rounded flavors on the front end with a pleasant aftertaste. This stuff is fantastic aged at 6 months. It reminded me of the change in wines or ciders I make, never experienced that with beer before. My wife, who didn't like it young before, loved this one, had to grab my glass back!

Saq - my hat is off to you here. When i am looking for a quad to brew, this one is it. I would place this in the top five of my favorite beers I have brewed myself, and for me that is saying a lot.

This one will be a rebrew over the xmas break for certain.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #504
rama
Recipes 

Just wanted to add some anecdotal evidence to the mix. My batch had proper attenuation without either forced aeration or a yeast starter. The only "help" it was given was a hot water bath at 82F.

Time will tell if this was a wise choice, but pure O2 and a big starter are not necessary for attenuation alone, FWIW.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #505
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rama View Post
Just wanted to add some anecdotal evidence to the mix. My batch had proper attenuation without either forced aeration or a yeast starter. The only "help" it was given was a hot water bath at 82F.

Time will tell if this was a wise choice, but pure O2 and a big starter are not necessary for attenuation alone, FWIW.
Did you just pitch one tube or smack pack? That's less than 1/3 of the amount of yeast for a proper pitch at an OG of 1.095.

Slight under-pitching is OK, but that is way too little yeast IMO, even if you ended up at the right FG. I think you're risking big time off-flavors and harsh, solventy alcohol character.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #506
tlsaudio
Recipes 

Have you ever left the batch sitting on the yeast the entire time? Ive had it in primary for about 2 weeks @65 degree while away for christmas and was wondering if I could leave it the entire 7 weeks without any detrimental effects.
Tahnks,
Terry

Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #507
stevehollx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsaudio View Post
Have you ever left the batch sitting on the yeast the entire time? Ive had it in primary for about 2 weeks @65 degree while away for christmas and was wondering if I could leave it the entire 7 weeks without any detrimental effects.
Tahnks,
Terry
Yeah don't worry about a secondary, unless you are concerned about clarity. It takes several months for signs of autolysis to show up. The phenols are pretty strong with this yeast and having extra yeast around to help clean those up actually may not be a bad thing?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #508
DeliriumTrigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My keg freezer is set around 40F, and I lack another fermentation chamber currently. Will I see any downsides of doing the cold aging in 40F as opposed to the closer-to-cellar 50F? I lack another option.
Bottles - (Massive) Bourbon Imperial Stout -- Winter Warmer
Kegs - Pepper Saison -- Imperial Chocolate Porter
Next Up - Belgian Quad -- American Barleywine -- Oaked Bourbon Imperial Stout

Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #509
jagec
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
My keg freezer is set around 40F, and I lack another fermentation chamber currently. Will I see any downsides of doing the cold aging in 40F as opposed to the closer-to-cellar 50F? I lack another option.
Just split the difference...set your freezer to 45F, and use frozen glasses until the Westy is done.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #510
DeliriumTrigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagec View Post
Just split the difference...set your freezer to 45F, and use frozen glasses until the Westy is done.
Pure, unadulterated genius.
Bottles - (Massive) Bourbon Imperial Stout -- Winter Warmer
Kegs - Pepper Saison -- Imperial Chocolate Porter
Next Up - Belgian Quad -- American Barleywine -- Oaked Bourbon Imperial Stout