Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple - Page 158 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #1571
CSI
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 856
Liked 155 Times on 112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPriest View Post
Wow that's some expensive beer! I live in Vancouver same as gear so I'm hoping to get lucky and get to try.... If he checks back and share his source of course...pretty please... With sugar on top, or I guess in this forum I should say with foam on top
You may also try using Belgianshop.com. We order from them once per year and they've been very good on service and shipping rates, (comparatively).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #1572
onegear
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPriest
Wow that's some expensive beer! I live in Vancouver same as gear so I'm hoping to get lucky and get to try.... If he checks back and share his source of course...pretty please... With sugar on top, or I guess in this forum I should say with foam on top
Sorry, I have not checked in lately to the board. I got all mine from Biercraft on Cambie, one was with a Christmas gift card, so it was free. they don't list them on the menu, but the 12 goes for $30 and the 8 for 24.

On the Pious thread, only 3 more weeks before I get to try one from my batch. Dec 8.

CSI Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #1573
Polboy
 
Polboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


I made traditional version, it was single infusion mash that stabilized at 151F and i used 4lb total of sugars for 11gal batch (in primary at 48h of fermentation), OG was 1.095 but after two weeks of very nice fermentation (with 3787 strain) it hit stable gravity at 1.019, im a little disappointed by that, on top of that i hopped it to only 26IBU and as a result of two things my beer is on the sweet side, its not terrible but not what i was hoping for. I tried champagne yeast to bring few points down but it didnt move at all, no i think i will just lager for 2-3 weeks and bottle to 3 vol of CO2 to help with sweetens a little bit. I will try this recipe again next year, just mash lower/longer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #1574
CSI
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 856
Liked 155 Times on 112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
I made traditional version, it was single infusion mash that stabilized at 151F and i used 4lb total of sugars for 11gal batch (in primary at 48h of fermentation), OG was 1.095 but after two weeks of very nice fermentation (with 3787 strain) it hit stable gravity at 1.019, im a little disappointed by that, on top of that i hopped it to only 26IBU and as a result of two things my beer is on the sweet side, its not terrible but not what i was hoping for. I tried champagne yeast to bring few points down but it didnt move at all, no i think i will just lager for 2-3 weeks and bottle to 3 vol of CO2 to help with sweetens a little bit. I will try this recipe again next year, just mash lower/longer
151F mash is fine on this and would not have created the gravity stall. The following docs may help on the next attempt:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/..._-_rev_1.5.pdf

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...ne_--_019x.pdf

Also, before bottling at 1.019 there is one last technique to correct this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #1575
BeerMeDuffMan
 
BeerMeDuffMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,787
Liked 1852 Times on 1361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
151F mash is fine on this and would not have created the gravity stall. The following docs may help on the next attempt:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/..._-_rev_1.5.pdf

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...ne_--_019x.pdf

Also, before bottling at 1.019 there is one last technique to correct this.
A cliff hanger!! Do tell, please. I am hovering at 1.019 right now and would love to know how to get it lower before I bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #1576
CSI
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 856
Liked 155 Times on 112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeDuffMan View Post
A cliff hanger!! Do tell, please. I am hovering at 1.019 right now and would love to know how to get it lower before I bottle.
Three years ago when we first ran the Pious Traditional recipe with the suggested under-pitch it also hung at 1.018. We contacted Jamil and his advice was as follows:

Create a new WLP530 stir-plate 3000ml starter. The large starter has be able to quickly ferment under adverse conditions so it has to be large. Oxygenate the starter before seeding with 1 vial WLP530, oxygenate it again at 8 hrs, and after high krausen has subsided oxygenate it a third time. Crash the starter to flocc. Take out of chill and pour off almost all of the starter beer and let the temp normalize to your primary temp. Pitch and stir in *very* gently. In 1-2 days a slow fermentation will resume. Monitor until you reach FG 1.012. Probably another week to 10 days. It worked

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #1577
BeerMeDuffMan
 
BeerMeDuffMan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,787
Liked 1852 Times on 1361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Three years ago when we first ran the Pious Traditional recipe with the suggested under-pitch it also hung at 1.018. We contacted Jamil and his advice was as follows:

Create a new WLP530 stir-plate 3000ml starter. The large starter has be able to quickly ferment under adverse conditions so it has to be large. Oxygenate the starter before seeding with 1 vial WLP530, oxygenate it again at 8 hrs, and after high krausen has subsided oxygenate it a third time. Crash the starter to flocc. Take out of chill and pour off almost all of the starter beer and let the temp normalize to your primary temp. Pitch and stir in *very* gently. In 1-2 days a slow fermentation will resume. Monitor until you reach FG 1.012. Probably another week to 10 days. It worked
Thanks a bundle! Jamil, is there anything that you don't know

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #1578
CSI
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 856
Liked 155 Times on 112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeDuffMan View Post
Thanks a bundle! Jamil, is there anything that you don't know
Jamil is the Zen yeast master!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #1579
Polboy
 
Polboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 917
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
151F mash is fine on this and would not have created the gravity stall. The following docs may help on the next attempt:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/..._-_rev_1.5.pdf

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...ne_--_019x.pdf

Also, before bottling at 1.019 there is one last technique to correct this.
I read 2/3 of this thread and lots of info from your website before i brew this beer, a lot of good information i have to say. I was aiming for 550 billion cells starter for 11gal (2 step starter on stir plate, predicted by yeast calculator but not counted), i wasnt sure how to adjust pitch rate for sugar addition in primary (i pitched in to 1.060 or so wort then added sugar after 48h). I like the advice of adding another starter but i think i will skip it this time, its on the sweet side but not bad at all, im still surprised champagne yeast didnt do anything.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #1580
CSI
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 856
Liked 155 Times on 112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
I read 2/3 of this thread and lots of info from your website before i brew this beer, a lot of good information i have to say. I was aiming for 550 billion cells starter for 11gal (2 step starter on stir plate, predicted by yeast calculator but not counted), i wasnt sure how to adjust pitch rate for sugar addition in primary (i pitched in to 1.060 or so wort then added sugar after 48h). I like the advice of adding another starter but i think i will skip it this time, its on the sweet side but not bad at all, im still surprised champagne yeast didnt do anything.
Yep, re-pitching a small yeast count does have almost negligible affect.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belgian Dark Strong Ale Westvleteren 12 Clone - Multiple Award Winner CSI Homebrew Ale Recipes 938 11-28-2016 12:41 PM
Westvleteren XII recipe (clone) - AAA Westvleteren 12 (D-180 variation) Burgermeister Recipes/Ingredients 3 06-04-2015 01:49 AM
Belgian Quad (Chimay Blue Style) Manzier Recipes/Ingredients 5 02-12-2014 11:53 PM
Planning my first AG. Belgian quad style beerlover89 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 03-05-2013 06:29 PM
Multiple Burners Multiple Tanks oakbarn Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-28-2012 03:03 PM


Forum Jump