Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple - Page 119 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Belgian Dark Strong Ale The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #1181
Snicks
Recipes 

May 2011
St. Johns, Newfoundland
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp137 View Post
I was thinking about making this with the homemade syrup from that post as well. I am a little concerned that the 290F syrup isnt dark enough. I dont care for the 300F syrup because i think it taste burnt. Do you think the burnt flavors would carry over? You said you used 2 pounds of the 290F, what percent of fermentables is that?
Sorry, when I said 2lb of of syrup I actually meant 2lb of cane sugar that I turned into the syrup that ended up in the fermentor, so the syrup weight would have been a bit more. I don't remember the percent out of the total fermentables but it was similar to the recipe.

As someone else mentioned you might want to just go for the CSI stuff since it gets such great reviews, the only reason I didn't go that route is due to time constraints and painful shipping rates to NL Canada. Next time I definitely will though, and should be able to post a comparison.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #1182
bkl63
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Pennsville, New Jersey
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

7 weeks in, While not officially on TAP it's been on CO2 and chilled for a week. I have it on a "secret" picnic tap inside the kegerator and enjoyed a sample every couple days. Will be a awesome brew within the month.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #1183
CSI
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Charlotte, NC
Liked 149 Times on 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Tradition smadition. I've been playing around with the base malt in the old world recipe for quite some time now. Vienna/Pils Vienna/Munich, Pils/Munich. The differences are there but not super noticeable. I'd rather branch out from using W12 as an inspiration rather than make an exact copy. Then tailor it specifically to my personal tastes.
Here here...salute!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #1184
jtp137
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63
7 weeks in, While not officially on TAP it's been on CO2 and chilled for a week. I have it on a "secret" picnic tap inside the kegerator and enjoyed a sample every couple days. Will be a awesome brew within the month.
How long are you guys aging this. I find it difficuilt to wait a year before drinking.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1185
Brewskii
Recipes 

May 2011
Williamsburg, Va
Liked 126 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp137

How long are you guys aging this. I find it difficuilt to wait a year before drinking.
Don't get emotional or impulsive; you will be richly rewarded. CSI has tested the hell out of this recipe - if he says 12 months, you can believe it.

OTH- you can taste along the way and see for yourself how it ages. The trouble is you may not have any left by the time you see it rise to its full potential.

This is not the kind of brew you do for the first time for a party or event - its more of a Zen thing. Patience and careful observation is required.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #1186
jeetaman
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone see any problems in doing a half batch of this? I don't have big boy equipment to handle all the water and grains, so could I just cut the ingredients in half and follow the same procedures?
Also, in doing a half batch I imagine I will be fine in a normal 6 gallon fermenting bucket for primary, because of the high amount of gases produced in initial fermentation, but when I rack to the secondary should I consider putting it in a smaller vessel to reduce the risk of oxidation?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #1187
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Charlotte, NC
Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts

I'm hoping that out of a 30 gallon batch atleast 20 of it makes it to the one year aging anniversary... With a goal of 10 of that making it to 18 months...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #1188
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2734 Times on 2110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman
Does anyone see any problems in doing a half batch of this? I don't have big boy equipment to handle all the water and grains, so could I just cut the ingredients in half and follow the same procedures?
Also, in doing a half batch I imagine I will be fine in a normal 6 gallon fermenting bucket for primary, because of the high amount of gases produced in initial fermentation, but when I rack to the secondary should I consider putting it in a smaller vessel to reduce the risk of oxidation?
I'd hate to sit on this for that long for only a case.. Why not do a partial mash and sub in some Pilsen DME?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #1189
mjap52
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Amherst, New York
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Well it's taken over a month and a half, but I'm finally starting to see some carb in my bottles.

Going to have to start another [double] batch soon...

Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #1190
jeetaman
Recipes 

Feb 2013
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I'd hate to sit on this for that long for only a case.. Why not do a partial mash and sub in some Pilsen DME?
I am new to brewing so changing stuff up makes me worry that I will screw something up. If I brew a half batch and sub in additional DME how much should I use? And is there an argument for using DME over LME?