Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #1131
g-star
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Any way that you know of to contact ECY directly? We'd love to do some trials with their yeast.
Al Buck runs East Coast Yeast. Joe Bair runs Princeton Homebrew, which is one of the only distributors of ECY. It's currently a one-man operation done in spare time, so the strains typically sell out in minutes once posted to the Google group. The brett/bacteria strains sell out in seconds.

Suffice to say, it's tough to get a hold of.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1132
TriggerFingers
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

You can call Joe and ask him about the ECY. I have seen various bottles of ECY in his fridge from time to time. I have stopped by before he has posted them on the google group and seen that he gets about 12-16 bottles of various kinds. Sometimes its one or two strains, others its 4 or 5. If I recall correctly he gets in whatever Al brings over. I doubt he would do some type of "wait list" for the ECY, but if you are out of the area it never hurts to ask.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #1133
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the contact information on ECY.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #1134
lunshbox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

CSI, I have some slants I would be happy to send you.
Kegged: Mill Worker's Breakfast Base
Planned: Pure-T Pale with Citra, G-Town Brown 2.1, Muddy Banks Irish Red

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1135
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunshbox View Post
CSI, I have some slants I would be happy to send you.
Thank you. I'll IM you. We'll be happy to pay shipping.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1136
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Al Buck runs East Coast Yeast. Joe Bair runs Princeton Homebrew, which is one of the only distributors of ECY. It's currently a one-man operation done in spare time, so the strains typically sell out in minutes once posted to the Google group. The brett/bacteria strains sell out in seconds.

Suffice to say, it's tough to get a hold of.
Thanks g-star. The backgrounder is much appreciated.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #1137
CSI

Recipes 

Default Back to Westvleteren 12 (another W12 taste test)

Just before tasting a recent Westy clone we sat down for another taste trial of a Westvleteren Abt 12. Now that Belgianshp.com has the Abt 12 in stock most of the time we've stocked our break room chiller with it.

On this taste test we detected distinct Saaz. Still the clear sweet-bitter of Northern Brewer with a spiciness that reminds me of Brewers Gold, (possibly H. Mittelfrueh). Mouthfeel was lighter than usual and closer to St. Bernardus Abt12 (near exact). A little boozy on the backside with the expected understated non-sweet dried figs. No longer any detection of Pale malt whatsoever (have they gone to decocted Pills only?). I suppose batches will vary with the art even at St. Sixtus. I'd say after bottle re-fermentation/aging the FG came in closer to 1.011 than 1.012. A beautiful ale every time to be sure but this was an apparent change in recipe that all of us here noticed. Much preferred the former releases. Anyone else detect changes?

Date for reference (13.12.15):
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westy Date Cap.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	99980  

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #1138
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I don't have access to the Westy 12 here but today, I had St. Bernardus 12 on tap at the Yard House. Mother of all creatures big and small, the taste was really close to the New World recipe.

I let the end of the glass flatten-out to get somewhere near where mine is right now. Without question, they are spot on duplicates. Due to underpitching, mine is just a wee bit sweeter. The wife said "isn't this what you have in the garage?"

CSI, in the post above (#1137) which of the recipes are you referring to?
People Like This 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #1139
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
I don't have access to the Westy 12 here but today, I had St. Bernardus 12 on tap at the Yard House. Mother of all creatures big and small, the taste was really close to the New World recipe.

I let the end of the glass flatten-out to get somewhere near where mine is right now. Without question, they are spot on duplicates. Due to underpitching, mine is just a wee bit sweeter. The wife said "isn't this what you have in the garage?"

CSI, in the post above (#1137) which of the recipes are you referring to?
Congratulations on the success of your brew!

In answer, we were sitting around the table sharing 2 Westvleteren Abt 12's between four of us here at CSI...first comparing notes from previous Westy 12 taste tests and then on to the clone. In this case we were following it with the tasting of a young 017x (at 3 months). We all noted an absence of Pale malt compared to previous Westvleteren 12's. The test trial turned out to be more a comparison of Westy v. (previous) Westy.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #1140
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Out of curiosity, how do you compare the St. Bernardus with the Westy 12?