What should I use these hops for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
So I have a lb. of US Fuggles and UK Hallertau each. I want to make somewhat of a IPA. These are rather low AA hops, 3.1 Hall. and 5 Fugs. My question is can I make a rather hoppy beer with these by just adding a S**T ton of them and what style should I use? I know the answer is, whatever I want to do but IM looking for some guidance here.

yep, a larger quantity of low alpha hops is the same as a small variety of large alpha hops when talking about the bittering addition. Use brewing software to determine IBUs.

I would do a continous addition with them. I find this to work better when using massive amounts of low AA hops. Instead of doing two or three large additions, do 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce every ten to fifteen minutes of each hop. It adds the bitterness and gives the hop flavor. Great hop flavor in my experience.

I was just discussing this with some buddies yesterday. I think there was a small fear that a ****-ton of low alpha hops would impart a vegetable taste to the beer, but I don't know for sure. Try it and report back here!

The opposite end of this spectrum would be trying to make Hefe's with super high alpha hops. You add like 6 pellets of Warrior to get 10-12 IBU.

If by hoppy, you mean Left Coast IPA citrus, no you can't. There is a persistent confusion between bittering and hoppy flavor/aroma on the board. Low AA hops can be used to achieve high bittering levels without any problem. Neither of these hops will give you an intense hop nose. An all Fuggle IPA will work just fine, but the final product will be a Fuggle IPA.

If you want to nail down the difference between bitter and hoppy, track down a commercial Extra Special Bitter, preferable not an American one. That style is bitter without being hoppy.

Back