sabco/corny compatability - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > sabco/corny compatability

Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Kulprit
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys - I tried to do a search for this but was simply overwhelmed with what came back as you can imagine the keywords are everywhere.

I am wondering how compatible 5 gallon corny kegs are with regular 1/2 barrel sankey hookups that are typical in bars?

What would be involved to be able to be able to get my beer in 5 gal cornies into bars that use the typical setup?

(fyi: I am just asking about technical aspects like lines and hookups - I already have the licensing/laws etc figured out)

Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They are totally different. If you want to have a sanke keg on, you have to have a specific coupler. In corny kegs you have to have a different set of hookups. Not only that, but there are different types of sanke couplers but most are "D" couplers http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...rs-cid-49.html Your cornies need either ball lock or pin lock, but I think the majority are ball lock http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...rs-cid-51.html

Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
mrtrav
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Vancouver, WA
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you are talking about selling to bars, you will want to sell with the sanke setup. I doubt any bar or restaurant will want to change their setup for one brewery.

If you are hooked on selling in 5 gallon kegs, you can find 1/6th bbl kegs which are essentially the same thing as our corny kegs except with the sanke couple up top.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7397 Times on 6074 Posts

There are some corny kegs with Sanke adapters welded in.

And some local bars will go through "all the trouble and hassle" to remove a couple freaking clamps from their D couplers to install standard soda disconnects. Especially if YOU the supplier provide the hardware.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

best bet is a 1/4 short or 1/4 tall Sanke or one of these they are called pub kegs
and are just converted push locks

I have a few and come in handy when I go to a party and know all the beer will be drunk (me too) and I can just use a picnic pump .

Old 11-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Kulprit
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
There are some corny kegs with Sanke adapters welded in.

And some local bars will go through "all the trouble and hassle" to remove a couple freaking clamps from their D couplers to install standard soda disconnects. Especially if YOU the supplier provide the hardware.
While I am sure I could talk bars into doing this - obviously I would rather not have to.

I knew there was a difference but didn't know how much.

The reason I am thinking 1/6 bbl kegs is to insure freshness as we will be a startup brewery so demand wont be huge to start.

Also 1/2 bbl's are basically impossible to find with any consistency if at all.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
While I am sure I could talk bars into doing this - obviously I would rather not have to.

I knew there was a difference but didn't know how much.

The reason I am thinking 1/6 bbl kegs is to insure freshness as we will be a startup brewery so demand wont be huge to start.

Also 1/2 bbl's are basically impossible to find with any consistency if at all.

I have seen very few 1/6 kegs around here that were Sanke from the getgo. Just seems most breweries use the 1/4 talls 7 1/2 gallon as opposed to 5 .Most of the 1/6 are converted Corny's like the one I posted and they aren't easy to come buy either

Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Kulprit
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't even know there was a difference between 1/6 and 1/4.

For me 1/4 would probably be ever better - so I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulprit View Post
I didn't even know there was a difference between 1/6 and 1/4.

For me 1/4 would probably be ever better - so I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up.
1/6 is 5.25 gallons give or take like a Corny the 1/4 is 7.5 gallons.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
bhs668
Recipes 

Oct 2008
RI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Having owned a liquor store in Mass most microbreweries deal with 1/6 barrels. It's either 1/2 or 1/6 in most cases. Bigger breweries like Sam will also have 1/4 shorts.