Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No yeast sediment in bottles.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Oscbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default No yeast sediment in bottles.

I have been bottle conditioning my pale ale for two weeks at around 65 degrees.

When I hold the bottles to the light they are still clear and there is no visible sediment at the bottom. I did put one in the fridge last week an opened it two days later. After I poured it there was yeast sediment floating around.

Is it normal for me to not see any yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles?

P.S The bottle that I did open was conditioned for week, sat in the fridge for two days. It had mild carbonation which I expected, so the yeast is working.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

yea its normal. when you put the bottle in the fridge you are essentially cold crashing the beer. while warm the yeast are floating around carbing the beer. when you stick it in the fridge the yeast go dormant and fall out of suspension and sit on the bottom.

PS: you should let the bottle sit for a week in the fridge before drinking to ensure all the yeast have settled out of the beer.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

It's really neither normal, or abnormal....some beers/yeast combos create more bottle sediment than others. It's really not a big deal either way. And it doesn't mean a beer will be any more or less carbonated that another batch.

It just means, don't worry about it, everything's fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Oscbert
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great! Thanks for the answers! 1 week in the fridge is a long time. I am too impatient. I am going to put one in the fridge again tonight and try on Saturday.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I usually get a thin, compact, even layer of sediment at the bottoms of my bottles so it's really hard to see it, even when I shine a light through the bottle. But it's there when I pour.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The bottles will certainly carb faster if you can bring the temperature up to 70 or so. That's not ambient in my house at this time of year, so patience works too.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
medz2005
Recipes 

Just transfer to another bottle they have a lot of them in just a little bit of sugar maybe low citric acid Another two days warm today it's cold we should cap real quick though You should be left with a nice crystal clear beer, but if u do use this method i suggest plastic bottles unless u got my mad bottling skills lol

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by medz2005 View Post
Just transfer to another bottle they have a lot of them in just a little bit of sugar maybe low citric acid Another two days warm today it's cold we should cap real quick though You should be left with a nice crystal clear beer, but if u do use this method i suggest plastic bottles unless u got my mad bottling skills lol
You should work on your mad run on sententce skills. I really could not understand what you're trying to say there. Transfer, a little sugar, citric acid, cap really quick.....what?

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Shanethebarber Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
StrongBad42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
What?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Jayslay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Great first post...

Alchemonk Tripel,Skull Old Ale, Galaxy Pale I, Raspberry Wedding Weizen, Galaxy Pale Wedding Ale
THIS MONTHS UPCOMING: