Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Will this yeast culture work?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
GLWIII
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will this yeast culture work?

I'm going to brew up a two hearted clone next week. I have a batch of a two hearted clone that I made this summer and the yeast is cultured from a couple of bottles of real two hearted. The brew didn't come out quite like I hoped - too sweet, poor efficiency, and I think my water profile was goobered up, but nothing that I would attribute to a poor yeast culture.

I want to start a new culture in prep for the brew session and was wondering if I should start over and get some real two hearted for the new culture or should I be okay using some from my summer batch. I just don't know if the yeast would be affected in any way by the factors that made my last batch less than stellar.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

i would get new yeast. might as well start with a clean slate. and of course build up to the proper pitch size.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As long as you didn't have an infection, you'll probably harvest more viable yeast from your brew than from starting over w/ two-hearted. I've done this a few times without any problem (with different strains) - it's just a good idea to step it up a couple times. Always taste-test the yeast starter before committing it to the whole batch.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
Always taste-test the yeast starter before committing it to the whole batch.
You taste test the starter? I've never heard of anyone doing that.