Anybody confirmed what yeast Bell's Brewery uses? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Anybody confirmed what yeast Bell's Brewery uses?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
MultumInParvo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 802
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Oberon is seasonal
Yeah. Thats a big bummer.

But next summer I'll have to give this a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,750
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts


I was told that Oberon fermentations produce a massive quantity of yeast and that that yeast is washed and used for fermenting other batches, specifically Two Hearted, which destroys yeast due to the hopping. I believe Oberon is brewed year round now and has been for a year or two. I could b wrong about that though, or maybe that was the plan for the future. I cannot quite remember.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
MultumInParvo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 802
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I was told that Oberon fermentations produce a massive quantity of yeast and that that yeast is washed and used for fermenting other batches, specifically Two Hearted, which destroys yeast due to the hopping. I believe Oberon is brewed year round now and has been for a year or two. I could b wrong about that though, or maybe that was the plan for the future. I cannot quite remember.
Depends on the state actually: http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/info/11/oberon_ale

So you're right. It is brewed year round, just not offered year round everywhere.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,750
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts


Also, reps don't always know everything about the production, but Paul is pretty savvy and seems like he knew what was up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
remilard
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City
Posts: 3,654
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post

I'll definitely be culturing up from a Sierra Nevada bottle, but I'd also like to try something made with American Ale 2. Has anybody confirmed that this is the strain that Bell's uses? I don't really want to culture up from Bell's if they use 1056.
1056/001/US05 is the Sierra Nevada strain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
kanzimonson
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 2,174
Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
1056/001/US05 is the Sierra Nevada strain.
Right, that's why I wouldn't want to culture both if they use the same.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. A little discouraged now because I feel like I need to ferment with 1056, 1272, AND Bell's yeast. Maybe I'll just leave out the 1968 ESB and make this an all-American comparison. Shock and awe, baby.

I'll probably get the Bell's from their Amber since most of their other beers are more extreme. That's crazy about Oberon using the same yeast, but a great lesson to homebrewers out there who don't practice fermentation temp control. I can't believe it's the same yeast.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
grove
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
atl, ga
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post

Hell Hath No Fury 78
Two Hearted 76
Winter White 74
Ales 72
Lagers 48-50
That the ale yeast is fermented at such high temps with good results means I might need to harvest it for use next summer. And its the same stuff used in Oberon? Pretty versatile. I wonder how low it'll go . . .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
oldschool
 
oldschool's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
southern IN
Posts: 708
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


I havn't had their no fury but 20 bucks says that they use a different yeast for their third coast old ale and their expedition stout. It had the exact same fruity aroma and flavor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #19
-TH-
 
-TH-'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Zeeland, Michigan
Posts: 903
Liked 90 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzimonson View Post
I'll probably get the Bell's from their Amber since most of their other beers are more extreme. That's crazy about Oberon using the same yeast, but a great lesson to homebrewers out there who don't practice fermentation temp control. I can't believe it's the same yeast.
I've had good success culturing from Bells Amber. Less so with two hearted.
__________________
TH

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
Tonedef131
 
Tonedef131's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,891
Liked 31 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grove View Post
That the ale yeast is fermented at such high temps with good results means I might need to harvest it for use next summer. And its the same stuff used in Oberon? Pretty versatile. I wonder how low it'll go . . .
It's worth a shot. Just remember that they have a lab that guarentees peak viability and vitality, have their pitch rates dialed in and keeps those temps perfectly consistant. So even if you hit those same temps it could result in a totally different beer, who knows what kind of shape that yeast is out of that bottle.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confirmation on Bell's Beer Yeast? Mencken Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-07-2014 10:36 PM
Bell's Brewery has Empty Bottles for Sale cmdrico7812 Bottling/Kegging 10 08-15-2009 12:21 AM
Yeast cultured from Bell's Pale Ale Rick500 General Techniques 8 06-29-2009 09:37 PM
Harvested Bell's Two-Hearted yeast! climateboy General Techniques 4 11-15-2008 04:34 PM
bell's yeast lo_carboy Recipes/Ingredients 0 05-31-2006 12:11 AM


Forum Jump