Browser Based Boil Timer [v1.0] - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Browser Based Boil Timer [v1.0]

Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Wooster, Ohio
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Good day everyone! I've played with a lot of brewing software, but there was one need I didn't find filled easily anywhere:

I wanted a simple, extensible, portable way to track my boil additions.

I'm a web programmer, so I chose the platform I'm most comfortable with. The program is extremely bare bones, and is only designed to do one thing. I always have my laptop or my iPhone with me while brewing, so a web interface makes sense for me. I formatted the time input the way we think about our recipes. If you set it up for a 60 minute boil, and set a hop addition for 5 minutes, it will count down to 55 minutes after the start of the boil. Here's a quick screenshot, and then I'll run down the features:

Features:
  • Tracks any number of boil additions
  • Shows proper elapsed time even if computer has gone to sleep and been re-activiated
  • Additon times, names, and quantity can be changed while the timer is running
  • Option to hide completed boil additions
  • Tested in IE 8, Firefox 3.5, Chrome, and Safari (each browser makes it look a little different)

Things I'd like to add:
  • Audio feedack at each addition time
  • Option for pop-up box at each addition time
  • Ability to remove unwanted or accidental rows
  • Specific layout better suited to iPhone

My goal is to keep this thing simple and purpose driven, but I am interested in your feedback and suggestions. To use, just point your browser at http://brewtimer.headfog.org! Cheers!

Update: This is now a github-hosted open source project! I encourage anyone interested in the project to fork the repository, make any changes you like, and contribute back your commits! The project can be browsed and cloned here: GitHub repo

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog

Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Looks good. It would be cool to have a mash schedule section as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
EricCSU
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 63 Times on 32 Posts

Looks great! I love the simplicity.

I agree with the things that you want to add. Here's my ideas...

-Have a check box to click once an addition is done and then it is somehow marked as done.
-Have an option to change additions so that they are in order, no matter what order they were added in the "additions" section. I listed additions out of order because that is how it was listed in a recipe, but I would have liked them to be listed in order in the timer section. Perhaps that is just how my brain is organized...

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
BenderDK
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Denmark

IT's awsome....

Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Plan9

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Apopka, FL
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Some kind of sounder would be great. Other than that, It's terrific.

Central Florida Home Brewers

Instagram

Old 11-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
cscade
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Wooster, Ohio
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

@EricCSU: I actually had sorting implemented at one point, but there were bugs when multiple additions shared the same addition time (say, finings & chiller both at 15 minutes). I agree completely that this is a needed feature.

@Plan9: This is on my short list already.

UPDATEs!

This is now a github-hosted open source project! I encourage anyone interested in the project to fork the repository, make any changes you like, and contribute back your commits! The project can be browsed and cloned here: GitHub repo

Cheers!

Seeker Brewing Co.
est. 2008
Build Thread - Blog