Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 2 Days in the Secondary and No Activity. Is this Bad?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
StevenR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2 Days in the Secondary and No Activity. Is this Bad?

I put a batch in the secondary fermenter on Sunday. There was still activity in the primary fermeter, albeit slow activity. I checked it this morning and nothing. Airlock isn't doing anything, there a very thin layer of bubbles on top in the center and that's it. Is this something I should be concerned about or should I just let it sit or bottle or what?

The beer in question is described in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/coup...stions-146247/

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Relax, the reason why there was activity in the primary was because all of the yeast that was in there, by transfering to a secondary you are taking the beer away from the yeast cake. Are you planning on lagering or dry hopping? What was your gravity when you transfered?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pretty much when you put a beer to secondary all visible fermentation is complete. It is just aging and the flavors combining and perhaps a few renegade yeast about cleaning up fermentation byproducts.

Most likely the activity you saw in the primary was from co2 that was still in solution that was slowly bubbling out. When you transferred you released most of this co2 which is why you see no activity in secondary. A few patches of bubbles is normal and is just the little bit of remaining co2. Sounds like all is well.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
snipper_cr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nope, nothing to worry about. If you saw any bubbles in the secondary, it probably was some CO2 that was still in solution that came out (think shaking a can of pop and seeing it fizz).

Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
stale

Recipes 

You seem to have a common misconception of what a secondary fermentation vessel is for. This of course due to the fact that it is called secondary fermentation. It should be called a clearing vessel. When you rack away from the primary you are removing it from most of the yeast and sediment. Although there may be some small amount of continuing fermentation it will hardly ever be noticeable. A lot of people by this stage and go directly from Primary to either a keg or bottles. You stated that there was still some visual activity in your primary at the time you moved it. How long did you have it in primary to begin with and did you take a hydrometer reading prior to moving it? again quite a few people never use the secondary step while others will use this step because it helps to clear the beer and bulk condition it prior to kegging or bottling. I've used the secondary on numerous occasions and then not on others. When I do use it I let it sit for another 2 wks. at least to help further settle the sediment.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Feel free to bring the flame, but IMHO one day in secondary is bad, even with activity.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Feel free to bring the flame, but IMHO one day in secondary is bad, even with activity.
Ok. I use a bright tank on most of my beers. But I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest that not using one was "bad" - it's my process, my choice.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Secondary is neither good nor bad. It is a matter of choice and preference. I use a seconday as a clearing tank mainly to free up my primaries as I only have two, much the same way many breweries still operate.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Whoa doggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
In My Humble Opinion
I'm not being "arrogant".

I have yet to have anyone give me a real reason to secondary. I just think it's unnecessary and a sanitation/oxidation/under-attenuation risk, ESPECIALLY for new brewers. I've tried more than a handful of first brews that have suffered because they were taken off the yeast after a week.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2886 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3517

Quote:
Wow, as one of the biggest proponents of long primary brewing on here, even I'm not arrogant enough to say that.

As I end the uber post summing up both arguments for WHEN to rack to secondary should one choose to use it; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mult...8/#post1601829

Quote:
But this is the important takeaway message...

The good news is that whatever method you choose, you will STILL make great beer. That's the amazing thing about this hobby. There is really no RIGHT way of doing things. There are literally dozens of ways to skin the cat here, and all that matter is integrating whatever methodology works best for you into YOUR OWN UNIQUE brewing process.
As in most of brewing there is no BEST or Better way of doing things, it's only our preffered way. People who chose to use secondaries can make great or crappy beers, just like those of us who choose not to secondary can make great or crappy beers.

It is just what one prefers for THEIR individual process.

Now as to the original question.....If you are using the secondary for the purpose of clearing the beer, then you should have any more fermentation happening, and unless there is some trapped co2 breaking from the trub, you won't see any bubbling. Remember, airlock activity is really not that important in terms of telling you what your beer is doing. An airlock is a vent to belled off excess co2...NOT a calibrated fermentation gauge. Many of us have beautiful fermentations with nary a blip of an airlock. And other times the airlock bubbles. But if it doesn't bubble, either in primary or secondary, ir really isn't anything to be overly concerned about. There are other more reliable methods of letting you know what your beer's doing...the most reliable is with a hydromter, and of less reliability, but still important, our eyes telling up whether or not a krausen rose and or fell on the top of the beer. But not your airlock.

Hope this helps.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew