It happened again!!! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > It happened again!!!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 543 Times on 435 Posts

So, 4 years or so ago I went to drop off some commercials I made for a local animal rescue agency. When I was there the director offered to give me a tour. On the tour there was this dog that just... crawled into my head and wouldn't leave. It just needed me. I brought my wife, who was against getting a dog, to see him. She had to have him. So we have a dog.

A year later, I find out that a guy that I worked with at a radio station dumped his family's pet bunny in the field where the towers are before he moved to Arizona. I went out to see and the bunny ran over to me, stood on it's hind legs and begged me to pick her up. So, we have a pet rabbit.

A friend had an orphaned baby mouse a while back

Then there was a hamster the vet called about that needed a home.

*sigh*

Last night, I was sitting in the studio at the radio station. Minding my own business. Just doing my shift. I look up and there's a stray cat sitting on the air conditioner, paws on the window, meowing at me. And giving me those eyes.

Like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	13595

She was still there this morning when I went in.

Waiting for me.

Like she KNOWS...

She's in my bathroom. Gonna see if she's microchipped tomorrow. No lost cats in the paper that match her.

I think I have a friggin' cat now.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
PintOfBitter

Recipes 

Feb 2007
USA
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

softie. gonna pick up its poopies??

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts

Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 543 Times on 435 Posts

Got a little box set up. She's already little box trained. She's also been recently fixed. Like, in the last week. Makes it more likely someone will be looking for her and I might not have a cat... yet. We're not going to consider her "ours" and name her for at least a week.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

Just make sure that the kitty stays away from the baby mouse. What is a pet to you is meat to her...and a possible "tribute" to her new daddy.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
uglygoat

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Clebland, OH
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

shoo, go away cat doesn't work?

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2595 Times on 1433 Posts

You're a good person to help these animals, but I'd draw the line at rodentia/vermin, except for the bunny. Regards, GF.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
toman8r
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Orange County, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My family lives in a pretty nice neighborhood. But 2 houses down from us, a legally insane schizophrenic used to live with his dad. He died a few months ago and his family sold the house. I think he lived only with his dad for a while, and it was pretty bad. Like 10+ years ago the guy got into a car chase with the police. He ended up crashing into another car, causing burns on over half of the woman's body who was driving the other car. When the cops following him approached his car he waved a bible at them (WTF???). Anyway, after a few years (6-9+?) of being in some sort of institution, he was released after I think his mother wrote a letter to the governor or something. The story of the car accident was first told to me by my other neighbor and was confirmed by an old news article I found online.

His mother must have died because I only remember him living with his dad. He had medications, but I don't think he dad really forced him to take them. His would do things like water his yard with gasoline, shout at random people on the street (often kids walking home from the elementary school/park on the corner), have loud, obscene conversations with imaginary people in his backyard, shoot off fireworks, etc. He was once caught with a knife in his pocket at this park, but the charges were dropped. He thought Madonna was his sister, he thought they shot Hollywood movies 2 houses down from him(4 houses down from me). He once called the cops and said that the neighbor next to him ( 3 doors down from me) was burying bones in his backyard... The guy was really insane. Like, really insane. I could go on and on about the insanity of this guy (you ever have your neighbor knock and your door and ask if the woman who died in your house 20 years ago talks to you regularly??).

So anyway, my family adopted a stray cat shortly after moving to this house, which lived in our old neighborhood. We really bonded with his cat, especially me. At first I couldn't even get near this car, but eventually every night when I went to bed this cat would lie on my back or stomach and would always beg for attention. Then I went off to college, and my family reported to me that the cat was going missing for weeks at a time but would sometimes show up at the house. It was my first time away from home for a significant amount of time, so I wasn't too interested in what this cat was doing(obv.).

But then once, when the cat had shown back up in our backyard after being missing for 2 weeks, the crazy guy comes to my front door and rambles about a cat or something. Only my older brother was home, with my grandma who could barely walk, so he just told the guy to chill out while he checked out the backyard. Then the crazy guy opens the gate on the side of the house, comes into the backyard, grabs the cat and storms off. My brother, thinking that it would not be a good idea to physically stop the guy, basically lets him go and calls the police and tells them what happened in a panicked voice. About 45 minutes later a cop shows up but does absolutely nothing except basically act like a huge d1ck. We get another cop over a few days later, but unfortunately he can't, or is unwilling, to actually do anything that made any sort of difference. The police department did offer an official apology to my brother for the first cop but nothing ever happens except for the cops knocking on the crazy guy's door multiple times and just asking if a cat was there. They lied of course. This guy's dad was not insane, but was just as bad as the crazy guy.

So about 10 months later, I am home for summer and we finally get the cat back. It seems OK, but it has brown stains all over the back/bottom of it like it had been living in a small cage with its own sh1t for a long time. After a couple days of it being back, my family goes on vacation and we hire someone to take care of the cat. But 2/3 through our vacation, the cat's heart fails and it dies on my bed. Most likely because of the terrible treatment it received from the crazy guy.

Eventually this guy's brother moves in, and I think the crazy guy began to regularly take his medication, resulting in much less mayhem. I hated the crazy guy, but I really did feel bad for him. Personal experiences have taught me that being 'sane' is a very delicate thing, and it only takes a very small change in brain chemistry to completely alter your perception of reality. It is extremely sad that this man had to go through what he did for basically his whole life, although I am fairly sure he knew what he was doing some percentage of the time and he knew that it was wrong. His behavior often changed when in the presence of police, which was often (sometimes with guns drawn on his house).

But then a cat shows up in our backyard with a litter of maybe 7 kittens! We ended up raising the kittens, because what else are you supposed to do, especially with a crazy guy 2 doors down?? We kept the momma cat and 2 of the kittens. We also ended up with a rabbit that lived in our neighborhood! Only the rabbit and one of the kittens are left now, the other 2 cats have been killed by coyotes. These animals just seem so.. helpless, it is hard to turn them down!!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 532 Times on 404 Posts

Man, I bet you're an easy mark when walking past people begging for change.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

My business partner is like that. She's down to one gerbil, one dog and one cat; but that won't last long.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk