I forgot to heat priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
Well, I didnt heat the priming sugar in water. I just sprinkled it as the beer was siphoning into the bottling bucket. Should I save some hassle and dump every bottle? Thx

No, don't dump every bottle. More than likely, everything will be perfectly fine.

Even if in a few weeks you crack open a bottle, and it's infected, don't just go dumping all the rest. Try another, and another, and another.

As always, I suggest simply relaxing and having a homebrew.....in about two weeks of course! There's really no reason to dump it out because you forget do something at this stage.

Is there a chance some sort of bug got into your beer? Of course but there's also a chance that everything is fine. If you read around these forums, there's a huge thread just dedicated to it, you'll see all the mistakes people make and how the beers still come out fine and sometimes are even the best beers they have brewed.

So again, I would let it sit for two weeks to carbonate, throw it in the fridge, and then pop em' open. Give it a smell and a taste - if it's bad you'll know - if not - enjoy :)

You'll probably be fine. I did the same thing for the a long time. I didn't know any better. The worst thing that ever happened was I got a gusher batch once, and even then the beer was still pretty good.

With the alcohol and all that CO2, I'd be more concerned about irregular carbonation that an infection.

Ive never cooked the priming sugar, just dumped it in my bottling bucket and siphoned on top of it. I've had no issue with three brews.. Even Carbination and no infection...

It's probably fine. Some people add corn sugar straight from the bag to fermenters routinely.

It'll most likley be fine. I did that my first batch. The only problem I had using this method was for some pumpkin ale I brewed up a month or so ago didn't carbonate correctly, even after a month most of them are flat.

Cool! It sounds like ill be good! I wasnt worried about infection, I was just worried that the priming sugar would somehow affect the carbonation process, since I didnt heat it and dissolve it. Thanks alot for all the replies! Ive told many people of this great website, and the replies proved my point of how great you people are! Thanks!:rockin:

Back