Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation chiller lager

Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
yusupov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation chiller lager

I have built a version of the Son of Fermentation Chiller, and wanted to know if anyone has successfully brewed a lager using one of these??? and what temps they fermented and lagered at???

Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
amercuric
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Grats on your new build, yusupov! I haven't but I'd push for around 40 'F and something with flavor.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
hlumbard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have one and I just lagered an Oktoberfest at 40*F for three weeks. Needed 2 frozen gallon jugs each day almost. Just changed them out in the morning everyday (2 in the freezer, 2 in the chamber)

Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
CPTHOOK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i built a very large one(holds 12 carboys) and i pump fluid from a frezzer through a aux. radiator cooler with a fan. before i had plumbed it i was using 2 gallon milk jugs with glycol/water mix (the glycol absorbs more cold energy) and it worked fine.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTHOOK View Post
i built a very large one(holds 12 carboys) and i pump fluid from a frezzer through a aux. radiator cooler with a fan. before i had plumbed it i was using 2 gallon milk jugs with glycol/water mix (the glycol absorbs more cold energy) and it worked fine.
sounds interesting... any pics?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
yusupov
Recipes 

Quote:
That is a good idea with the glycol, I am going to do that. Does it take a little longer to freeze the glycol/water mix? and roughly what percentage is the mix?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
yusupov
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlumbard View Post
I have one and I just lagered an Oktoberfest at 40*F for three weeks. Needed 2 frozen gallon jugs each day almost. Just changed them out in the morning everyday (2 in the freezer, 2 in the chamber)
Nice one! that sounds like a fair amount of work (all the freezing). Let me know how the Oktoberfest turns out.

Does anybody have some good tips for making the son of fermentation chiller as cold/well insulated as possible? i saw somebody put little cat flaps over the intake and outtake holes, I am not sure how much that would help though.

thanks,

Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
CPTHOOK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry no pic's of the chamber yet its ruffly 8' length by 34" deep and 36" tall with a split lid. I was using a 50/50 mix of glycol/water in my jugs and thats is what i use now. I plan to convert to Panatherm LR fluid soon.
yusupov Likes This 
Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
CPTHOOK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusupov View Post
Nice one! that sounds like a fair amount of work (all the freezing). Let me know how the Oktoberfest turns out.

Does anybody have some good tips for making the son of fermentation chiller as cold/well insulated as possible? i saw somebody put little cat flaps over the intake and outtake holes, I am not sure how much that would help though.

thanks,
How much room do you have and how many carboys/kegs at one time?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
yusupov
Recipes 

Quote:
How much room do you have and how many carboys/kegs at one time?
I have a spare room with a decent amount of space. I made the chiller just big enough for one carboy (a little smaller than the son of fermentation chiller plans) so that there is a smaller volume to keep cool.