Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Info on smoking your own grains

Old 11-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
thrstyunderwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Info on smoking your own grains

I've been building smokers/smokehouses and smoking/bbqing meat way longer than making beer. I really like smoked porters and want to smoke my own grain. Anyone have any information on doing any of this? Anyone incorporate smoke into anything else? I think there are a lot of beers that might be good with a slight smoke taste.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't done it yet but will be soon. My plan is to smoke as cool as I can, spritzing the grains periodically with water to keep them moist but not wet and turning the grains once in a while. I plan to use Alder. Others report using pear, apple, cherry, beechwood, etc... Not hickory. Too harsh & tastes like bacon. Not sure why that's bad but ??? Beers to smoke? I'm planning a Porter & will smoke 1/2 the base grains. Weizenbock is another one. Hopefully others will pipe in with more spscific info.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
I haven't done it yet but will be soon. My plan is to smoke as cool as I can, spritzing the grains periodically with water to keep them moist but not wet and turning the grains once in a while. I plan to use Alder. Others report using pear, apple, cherry, beechwood, etc... Not hickory. Too harsh & tastes like bacon. Not sure why that's bad but ??? Beers to smoke? I'm planning a Porter & will smoke 1/2 the base grains. Weizenbock is another one. Hopefully others will pipe in with more spscific info.
what type of smoker?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
hamiltont
Recipes 

I'm going to use a Coleman gas smoker. My biggest concern is the heat. I can usually keep is fairly low & I'll have a spray bottle handy JIC the chips flare up. If you have a way to use cold/cool smoke that's the best way to go from what I understand.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
thrstyunderwater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cold smoking is alot easier than you think. Do you have a thermometer? Big big help if you don't.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
hamiltont
Recipes 

Sure, I have a thermometer. The smoker is a cylinder shape with about a foot and a half distance from flame to grain. I have a pan I'll place over the flame to difuse it some.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 474 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 594

The biggest problem I have with smoking grains is keeping them from falling out of the rolling paper....

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
hamiltont
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
The biggest problem I have with smoking grains is keeping them from falling out of the rolling paper....
That's a classic!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I was going to say "Are we talking spent grains here? Do you have to dry them first to keep 'em lit?"

Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Denny, you use a pipe. Gotta teach you young dudes everything. Yeah I know brother, you're only 2 years younger than me but it was rough times back in the sixties and sometimes we forget.

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."