High Sugar Concentration Inhibits Bacterial growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread on this subject.

I am wondering chemcially or mechanically why bacteria can not grow in high sugar concentrations such as honey, and wine concentrate. As soon as you add water though, the bugs can go to town. Is it wrong pH? Or is it something else.

Osmotic pressure.

The sugars will attract water to some degree, in an effort to balance out the concentration of sugar between the inside of the bug and the outside of the bug. Since honey is only about 30% water (IIRC) then that means pretty much all of the water from the bug gets sucked out and it implodes.

Once you get the dilute the sugars into a proper mix (70% water or so) then there isn't a whole lot of pressure trying to make the bugs implode and they can use the sugar as fuel.

As soon as you add water though, the bugs can go to town.

You've answered your own question. The previous poster has given more details. It's the same reason why salt was historically used to preserve foods.

Osmotic pressure.

The sugars will attract water to some degree, in an effort to balance out the concentration of sugar between the inside of the bug and the outside of the bug. Since honey is only about 30% water (IIRC) then that means pretty much all of the water from the bug gets sucked out and it implodes.

Once you get the dilute the sugars into a proper mix (70% water or so) then there isn't a whole lot of pressure trying to make the bugs implode and they can use the sugar as fuel.

Positive on that answer?

Isn't it result of water activity? Sugar binds water by hydrogen bonds and even though there is water in a product, there is not any free water for other reactions.

Positive on that answer?

Isn't it result of water activity? Sugar binds water by hydrogen bonds and even though there is water in a product, there is not any free water for other reactions.

At least fairly positive.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why a very high sugar concentration will inhibit growth, availability of water for chemical reactions being one of them, but osmotic pressure was the one I was taught in school.

At least fairly positive.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why a very high sugar concentration will inhibit growth, availability of water for chemical reactions being one of them, but osmotic pressure was the one I was taught in school.

Interesting...

I'm being taught that it is water activity

It is water activity. However, a low water activity level (aw) does create an osmotic imbalance.

Water activity level is a common term in microbiology and food safety. It essentially means the water that is available in the food to be used by microbes. Here is a good definition I found:

The water activity (aw) of a food is the ratio between the vapor pressure of the food itself, when in a completely undisturbed balance with the surrounding air media, and the vapor pressure of distilled water under identical conditions. A water activity of 0.80 means the vapor pressure is 80 percent of that of pure water.

It is actually one of the criteria to determine if a food is considered "potentially hazardous" (for simplicity, let's say that means it requires a controlled temperature such as refrigeration). If a food has a water activity level of below 0.85, it is considered non-potentially hazardous.

A good example of a type of food that can span the range of potentially hazardous to non-potentially hazardous is cheese. Hard cheeses such as Parmesan have water activity levels below 0.85 and do not require refrigeration. Soft cheeses such as mozzarella have a water activity level over 0.85, so they require refrigeration.

Jambs, jellys, syrups, etc. and anything with a high sugar concentration have water activity levels below 0.85 and don't require refrigeration. That's why they're on the shelf and not in the cooler at the supermarket.

That, and most are also full of preservatives or have very low pH.

I would say the right answer is a combination of all the responses thus far. Osmotic pressure plays a huge factor as does water activity. I agree with GN that the reason a lot of high sugar food products don't require refrigeration in the store is a combination of pH factors, preservatives (though these probably paly more of a role after the product is opened), osmotic pressure, water activity, and the big reason is that these products are pasteurized and stored under vacuum pressure...you wouldn't open a can of grape jelly, use some and leave it on your counter at 78 degrees for a week and a half and expect to find no spoilage growth. Also the cheese example someone mentioned is partially correct I think. Again I think a combination of water activity and osmotic pressure are at play here. Typically the harder the cheese is the saltier it is as well meaning high osmotic stress as well as low water activity.

Everything, as far as the OP is concerned comes back to water activity level... osmotic pressure, even salt content (although this doesn't apply to the OP's question). Low water activity level means osmotic imbalance. High salt content means low water activity level.

pH can also be a concern, but I don't believe it is in regards to the OPs question.

This isn't to say that 0.85 aw is the cut-off for any microbial growth. It just means that there won't be rapid and progressive growth. Mold can grow on the surface of foods with aw's of over 0.8.

The bottom line is that for the OPs question, there is only one measurable parameter that needs to change to allow the yeast to thrive... water activity level.

wait are we saying the same thing here menschmaschine? I agree there is a whole slew of microbes that do well sub .85 aw (Zygosaccharomyces bailii and penicillium for example) and I realize water activity and osmotic pressure are inversly proportional to each other, but I am confused on which your are saying is the driving factor...in other words would one change the water activity to shift the osmotic pressure or would one change the osmotic pressure to shift the water activity? I was under the impression that while water activity is a "measurable parameter" it is dependent on osmotic factors (as well as other factors) so while water activity would answer the OP question wouldn't osmotic forces be more specific? I know I am just splitting hairs, but I enjoy stimulating exchanges.....now this is just getting weird. :)

wait are we saying the same thing here menschmaschine? I agree there is a whole slew of microbes that do well sub .85 aw (Zygosaccharomyces bailii and penicillium for example) and I realize water activity and osmotic pressure are inversly proportional to each other, but I am confused on which your are saying is the driving factor...in other words would one change the water activity to shift the osmotic pressure or would one change the osmotic pressure to shift the water activity? I was under the impression that while water activity is a "measurable parameter" it is dependent on osmotic factors (as well as other factors) so while water activity would answer the OP question wouldn't osmotic forces be more specific? I know I am just splitting hairs, but I enjoy stimulating exchanges.....now this is just getting weird. :)

Sure there are microbes that thrive below 0.85 aw, but it's partially a matter of how quickly. The 0.85 number is used primarily for pathogenic microbes and food-spoilage microbes (I believe it's tested with Staph aureus), but S. cerevisiae is probably pretty close to the same number.

We very well may be saying the same thing, but my head is already spinning because I've been infected with a rhinovirus (my aw must have gone above 0.85:D) and I just don't have the energy to put much more thought into it right now.:eek: :mug:

bacteria cannot grow in high salt or high sugar concentrations...dis is mainly bcoz of osmotic pressure..
when bacteria r suspended in highly concentrated sugar solution, then the bacterial cell tries to attain equilibrium between its cell and the surrounding environment...as we all know..water always move from low concentration to high concentration [osmosis], water from the bacterial cell moves into itz surrounding medium to attain equilibrium...as a result it [bacterium] gets deprived of water and bacterial cell finally becomes flaccid

Everything, as far as the OP is concerned comes back to water activity level... osmotic pressure, even salt content (although this doesn't apply to the OP's question). Low water activity level means osmotic imbalance. High salt content means low water activity level.

Ehhh... Osmotic imbalance means low water activity. I can derive equations governing osmosis from first principles. In theory, water activity is just a different way of looking at chemical potential, and differences of chemical potential across membranes is what drives osmosis.

Once you start talking about food processing or anything like that, water activity is a measured quantity rather than a predicted quantity. That's mainly because we don't fully understand the interaction of water with complex systems, especially ones that are primarily solid-phase.

To put it in terms of the original question, water activity is the what, but osmotic pressure (or more accurately chemical potential) is the why. Nature doesn't like pure or unmixed substances being in proximity. The honey will always pull the water out of the cells to dilute the honey.

It's actually a balancing act involving chemical potential (which is a function of pressure) and osmotic pressure. As the activity of water outside the cell (in something like honey) is lower than the activity of water inside a cell there is a chemical potential across the cell membrane. Matter moves from high chemical potential to lower so water moves out of the cell. This dilutes the honey thus increasing the chemical potential of water in the honey but also decreases the pressure in the cell thus lowering the chemical potential of water in the cell. This process continues until the water in the honey is dilute enough and the osmotic pressure difference across the membrane is high enough that the chemical potentials are the same. No more water migrates.

bacteria cannot grow in high salt or high sugar concentrations...dis is mainly bcoz of osmotic pressure..
when bacteria r suspended in highly concentrated sugar solution, then the bacterial cell tries to attain equilibrium between its cell and the surrounding environment...as we all know..water always move from low concentration to high concentration [osmosis], water from the bacterial cell moves into itz surrounding medium to attain equilibrium...as a result it [bacterium] gets deprived of water and bacterial cell finally becomes flaccid

I'm having a difficult time getting through this one. Water moves from low to high? Obtaining equilibrium would be moving from high concentration to low concentration.

:off: Tehehehehe... he said "flaccid"

EDIT. Dammit I just realized I responded to a month old post.

No, material moves from phases with high chemical potential to those with lower chemical potential for that same species. Thus if you have pure water on one side of a membrane permeable to water and water with stuff dissolved in it on the other the chemical potential of water on the solution side will be lower and water will pass through the membrane in order to dilute the solution thus raising the chemical potential of water in the solution. As water moves in to dilute the solution the level in the container on the solution side of the membrane will rise as the volume increases. This increases pressure across the membrane which in turn changes the chemical potential. The process increases until the chemical potential of water is the same on both sides of the membrane. The osmotic pressure is the pressure (in this case hydrostatic head) which causes the chemical potentials to come into balance. This is, of course, a very much simplified case relative to what goes on in a living cell but the fundamental principal is the same.

Osmotic pressure.

I'm trying to figure out what a "safe" specific gravity would be for maintaining some must longer-term (maybe a month or two?) to use as backsweeting later, minimizing additive usage.

I looked up the SG of honey (1.425), and attempting to make some sense out of the above numbers, (using this)

Assuming I'm doing math that makes sense (dubious), honey has a sugar content of 1110.53g/L. It's currently 30% water, dangerous at 70%, so I think that means the minimum should be 1111/.7*.3=476g/L sugar. Going backwards using that number, a SG of 1.182 is the lowest that honey is safe at long term.

My OG is 1.095, putting it at about half the sugar density of the 'safe' honey amount (though it's sweetened peach juice, not honey).

I have a gallon of must sitting in the fridge. Do I need to add campden/metabisulfite to it right now, or can I wait until everything is fully fermented and I've racked a couple of times before using it to backsweeten, then adding preservatives to the whole thing all at once? I suppose I could also pop it in the freezer, but I imagine that would have a negative effect on taste.

(I realize this is an old thread, but it is by far the most relevant one I could find. the word 'must' must be pretty common, because searching for it isn't helpful :p )

Chemical potential: u = u0 + R*T*ln(activity). Hence Pi = -(R*T/V)ln(gamma*x) where capital Pi is the usual symbol for osmotic pressure, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature (in Kelvins), V is the molar voluime, gamma is the activity coefficient, and x is the mole fraction of the solvent. gamma*x is the activity. IIRC the minumum safe sugar concentration for honey is 86% but it has been a while since I thought about such things.

I'm trying to figure out what a "safe" specific gravity would be for maintaining some must longer-term (maybe a month or two?) to use as backsweeting later, minimizing additive usage.

I looked up the SG of honey (1.425), and attempting to make some sense out of the above numbers, (using this)

Assuming I'm doing math that makes sense (dubious), honey has a sugar content of 1110.53g/L. It's currently 30% water, dangerous at 70%, so I think that means the minimum should be 1111/.7*.3=476g/L sugar. Going backwards using that number, a SG of 1.182 is the lowest that honey is safe at long term.

My OG is 1.095, putting it at about half the sugar density of the 'safe' honey amount (though it's sweetened peach juice, not honey).

I have a gallon of must sitting in the fridge. Do I need to add campden/metabisulfite to it right now, or can I wait until everything is fully fermented and I've racked a couple of times before using it to backsweeten, then adding preservatives to the whole thing all at once? I suppose I could also pop it in the freezer, but I imagine that would have a negative effect on taste.

(I realize this is an old thread, but it is by far the most relevant one I could find. the word 'must' must be pretty common, because searching for it isn't helpful :p )

Freezing the must for backsweetening is the best course. It doesn't affect the flavor. Otherwise, you'd have to sulfite pretty heavily over 3-6 months to ensure that no microbes take hold while you're waiting for your wine to finish and clear and then while you stabilize.

When you are backsweetening, you want to stabilize first with campden and sorbate. Let that sit to ensure it doesn't cloud up on you. Then, about 3-5 days later you can backsweeten as desired with your frozen (then thawed) must. Wait 5 days or so, to ensure fermentation doesn't restart. Then you can bottle.

And as an old winemaker, I can say with certainty that a must WILL spoil/ferment within a relatively short period of time. It may mold before it ferments, but it certainly won't make it months in your fridge. Juice is not thick sugar, like honey is.

Back