Feedback on my Imperial Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'd like to start brewing a huge beer every January and save them over the years. I just brewed an American barleywine a couple months ago so I think I'll inaugurate this tradition with a double brown ale. I took a northern brown ale recipe that I've liked and doubled it, and then adjusted the character malts down a little bit.

5.25gal
OG - 1.100
IBU - 50

11.5# Maris Otter
1.5# Crystal 40
.5# Crystal 120
1# Special Roast
1# Victory
.5# Chocolate
.5# Flaked Barley
1# table sugar, lightly caramelized
~2# DME (whatever I need post-mash to get to 1.100)

Mash at 152*

.5oz Columbus - 75 min (~35 IBU)
.75oz Kent Goldings -15 min (~5 IBU)
.75oz Fuggle - 15 min (~5 IBU)
.75oz Kent Goldings - 5 min (~2.5 IBU)
.75oz Fuggle - 5 min (~2.5 IBU)

Wyeast 1968

I've got a lot of character malts here, and a lot of crystal, and a less attenuative yeast - is there a chance it'll be too sweet? Does it have enough chocolate? Should I get 1-4oz of black patent in there for some depth to the dark grains?

Thanks!

Black Patent is for stouts, leave it out. I personally don't like that much crystal malt, but it's your beer. Also, and this is just a suggestion, why not replace the pure sugar with something like maple syrup? That's what I use for my Imperial Nut Brown and it's excellent. Check out my recipe if you'd like. It's extract, but easily convertable to all-grain. It's the only extract brew I still do since I didn't wanna mess with the recipe.

I think it is a little too much crystal. Cut the C40 down to a pound and the C120 to maybe a quarter of a pound. You may want to even take out the 120 and hop down to an 80 or so. That's just my thought.

I would also bump the IBUs up since you plan on aging. Perhaps 75-80. These will mostly drop out over time, but they will also help balance the sweetness of such a big beer.

No worries using a less attenuative yeast, just mash around 149-150 for 90 minutes or so. I am getting ready to do a 1.090 Old Ale with 1968.

Black Patent is for stouts, leave it out.

Black patent is usually for robust and baltic porters. Stouts tend to use roasted barley.

I've actually done a maple nut brown with a half gallon of maple syrup in it (!!!) - wish I had saved more bottles because that mellowed nicely as time went by.

For some extra flavor, I caramelize my table sugar on the stovetop. I just cook it until it turns into a thick, ruby-colored goo. It's basically candi sugar when you're done.

Back