Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Substitute for Black Roasted Barley

Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Substitute for Black Roasted Barley

I've got a recipe for an Oatmeal Stout that calls for Black Roasted Barley (500L). My LHBS only carries Roasted Barley (300L). Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could use as a replacement for the Black Roasted Barley my recipe calls for? THANKS!!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I doubt there will be much of a difference at that level. You shouldn't be using that much anyways.

I know I wouldn't be able to taste the difference.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
illinibrew04
Recipes 

possibly some carafa III

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

You can use the 300L just use a little more. Carafa is more like Chocolate malt (which is good in an Oatmeal Stout imo...but in addition to Roasted Barley).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
You can use the 300L just use a little more. Carafa is more like Chocolate malt (which is good in an Oatmeal Stout imo...but in addition to Roasted Barley).
I make an ESB with 1 oz of Muntons black barley (675L) for color and a little complexity flavor-wise.
My last batch I substituted 2 oz of Weyermanns roasted barley (375L).
The 'roasty' flavor completely dominated the beer, though it is now 12 weeks old and it is starting to mellow.

So my advice is to not double up on roasted barley if the recipe says black barley..
Black patent might be a better choice.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

A little more.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts

Add some black patent. The flavor is a little different, but the roast will be there.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm seeing some confusion myself with black roasted and roasted barley. The last time I purchased some "roasted barley" it was almost black. This was a drastic constrast to what I just used up which was more of a dark red with garnet highlights. I visited my local store's site and they advertise it as roasted but at 500 lovi. Sounds to me I got some black roasted barley.

To further muddy the water, I picked up a pound of Weyermann's chocoloate rye. Weyermann advertises it with a lovi range around 245. The malt came with a LD Carlson label on it stating it was Weyermann choc. rye but at 400 (somthing close to that). What do you believe?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
I'm seeing some confusion myself with black roasted and roasted barley. The last time I purchased some "roasted barley" it was almost black. This was a drastic constrast to what I just used up which was more of a dark red with garnet highlights. I visited my local store's site and they advertise it as roasted but at 500 lovi. Sounds to me I got some black roasted barley.

To further muddy the water, I picked up a pound of Weyermann's chocoloate rye. Weyermann advertises it with a lovi range around 245. The malt came with a LD Carlson label on it stating it was Weyermann choc. rye but at 400 (somthing close to that). What do you believe?
I would ask the local store who the maltster is and exactly what product it is. You may be able to go to the maltster's site and find out. Like with your Weyermann Chocolate Rye. Weyermann is pretty good about having that info on their site. Not all maltsters do but many do. Looks like 245L is about right.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 54 Posts

The difference in color on the bag may be the difference between Lovibond and EBC. EBC color is used in Europe and is a little more than 2x the Lovibond rating.

Munich malt that I buy that is 8L is like 20 EBC.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles