Good gravy - I left the stirring spoon in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
I have been looking forward to bottling (and eventually drinking) a pilsner I created a little over 3 weeks ago. Then I opened the fermenter for the first time since its creation only to find that I am an idiot. I left my stir spoon in the fermenter the entire three weeks!

Its a food grade plastic stirring spoon, so I am hoping it does not lead to off-flavours... Should I be worried? And if my beer tastes of spoon can I just wait it out?

I'm sure it will be just fine since it's food grade.

Yeah, as long as it was cleaned and sanitized I don't forsee this being a problem. People ferment in plastic buckets with no off flavors, so a small spoon shouldn't be harmful either.

I have been looking forward to bottling (and eventually drinking) a pilsner I created a little over 3 weeks ago. Then I opened the fermenter for the first time since its creation only to find that I am an idiot. I left my stir spoon in the fermenter the entire three weeks!

Its a food grade plastic stirring spoon, so I am hoping it does not lead to off-flavours... Should I be worried? And if my beer tastes of spoon can I just wait it out?

I did that my second AG batch ever. i wondered if the beer was really good, would i have to put the spoon in there next time i tried the recipe to guarantee the same flavor?

no but seriously everythig was fine no off flavors, etc.

:mug:

Well that alleviates my fears. If it turns out good I may just dub this pil:

Bradinator's Spoontacular Pilsner

Nothing wrong with leaving a spoon in your beer while it ferments. Now... if it had been a spork... you'd be SO screwed!

Had it been a wood spoon or a copper spoon or an aluminum spoon then you may have a problem. But a plastic food grade spoon should be OK as long as it was sanitized before it went in.

I use a stainless spoon and leave it in the boiling wort for the last 10-15 min to sanitize. Then I stir to add a whirlpool action to my immersion chiller. The whirlpool action cuts the cooling time in half!

You might consider a bigger spoon. I couldn't accidentally leave mine in the fermentor because my SPOON is too big. My SPOON is too BIG. MY SPOON is too big.

You might consider a bigger spoon. I couldn't accidentally leave mine in the fermentor because my SPOON is too big. My SPOON is too BIG. MY SPOON is too big.

Hopefully it won't make your beer say, "I AM A BANANA. ."

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back