15 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [7.00 %] (90 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [3.80 %] (15 min)
1.00 oz Saaz [3.20 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
2 lbs Homemade Amber candi syrup (directions here
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 18.75 qt of water at 162.9 F 148.0 F
Bottled conditioned at 3 volumes of CO2. Added an additional pack of T-58 dry yeast at bottling time to ensure carbonation.
This beer placed 2nd at the HOPS BOPS homebrew competition in Philadelphia
Below are the judges feedback:
1. Peppery, clove aroma with maltiness. Slight Banana appropriate to style
2. Clove-like, some phenols, no hop
1. Golden, Brilliantly clear. Big, Big off white head that lingers
2. Gold, good clarity. Big Head
1. Balance forward toward malt. Beer with spicy notes; slight citrus(orange) flavor with alcohol detectable.
2. Spicy and fruity up front with lingering bitterness and some alcohol in the finish
1. Full Body, High Carbonation. Some warmth, medium creaminess.
2. Medium Body, good Carb
1.Big, Spicy, Fruity example of the Style
2.Alcohol big in finish but otherwise very good.
This beer is still only about 4 months old. I plan on stashing the rest of the bottles for a couple more months and entering it again later on. Hopefully by then the alcohol hotness will mellow out and the score will improve a little bit. It ended up scoring an average of 38 between the 2 judges.