Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips, What?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
flyerwire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips, What?

Ok, so i'm doing a bourbon porter. The porter is in the primary and 4oz of medium oak chips are soaking in Makers Mark. The aim is to soak the chips for 2 weeks or so.

1) My question comes in with the secondary, and searching throughout the forum i could never get a consensus answer. When i rack to the secondary with the oak chips, do i completely strain/drain the oak chips or should i pour some of the bourbon with it?

2) How long do i let it sit, i love a local bourbon porter that is pretty strong on the bourbon flavor but not quite overpowering... for anyone with experience, how long will it take to get the flavor? I guess the best way is to just sample it after 2 weeks and then go from there?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
ace3's carboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually leave about 1/2 cup of the bourbon per 5 gallon in my vanilla bourbon porter. Assuming you're doing a 5 gallon batch, 4oz of the bourbon soaked wood should make itself very well known in about 7 days. The flavor of the wood will mellow slightly with time as well. 2 weeks of 4 oz wood chips will likely impart far too much wood taste imho

Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes, a 5g batch, didnt mention it.

thanks for the response, i definitely dont want the oak overpowering anything so i'll take a sample around 5-7 days to test when to pull it off. Is it a very strong inital flavor that does well to let mellow?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6033 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Yes. I have a bourbon oaked beer that I oaked for 10 days, and it's now becoming drinkable.

I used one ounce of medium toasted oak for three gallons. I bottled it on 8/16/09, and it's now still "oaky" but not as intense as it was. It's now pretty drinkable.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
ace3's carboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

7ish days should give you an instantly noticeable oak character that should fade into a much more balanced amount in maybe 3-4 weeks

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I pour the bourbon and the oak chips in the secondary.

7-10 days, but really no more. It will take time to mellow out.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

great, it'll be sitting for a bit once it comes off of the secondary so it should mellow well. thanks for the replies! I'm looking to bring a good bit of it to the old man for x-mas.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6033 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Christmas THIS year? Um, well, it'll be really, really oaky then, especially if you use 4 ounces of oak chips like you mentioned in your post. Like I said, I used ONE ounce for 3 gallons back in August, and it's just now becoming drinkable 3 months later. If you want it for Christmas this year, I'd suggest no more than 1 ounce, and just a couple of days!
Yeah.....it takes a long time to mellow out oak...like months sometimes.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i had bad timing... i know. its only going to be a sample, so i can pass on the sample and bring something else for him to hold him over a few more months. i was thinking of adjusting the oak chips anyway from everyone saying they used much less!