Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > oatmeal stout ?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
MikeM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default oatmeal stout ?

I just bottled my first AG today. It was an oatmeal stout. OG was 1.056 (had to add 1.7 lbs DME due to poor efficiency). It sat in the primary for 2 weeks before bottling. My OG reading last pm and today was 1.040. The FG was supposed to be 1.016. I used Wyeast 1968 London ESB and did a starter. After cooling the wort I transferred 2.5 gallons into 2 carboys and rocked each carboy for 5 minutes before combining both into a 6.5 gallon carboy. I mainly do this because my days of carrying 5 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy down the stairs into the basement are over. I did add a yeast nutrient at beginning of boil. For water I used my very hard tap water. Within 6 hours there was vigorous fermentation. I love that sound. I did taste it and thought it was good, there was a good strong coffee taste and it did not smell or taste contaminated. Here are my questions:
1) How often should I be checking SG?
2) If something like this happens again should I repitch and leave it alone for a week?
3) If I repitch should I just throw in a smack pack after smacking it and letting it sit out for several hours or should I do another starter?
4) Is it possible my refractometer is off or I am reading it wrong? Can anyone suggest a link with directions for mixing measured amounts of sugar and distilled water together to obtain a known SG and match it against my refractometer (I could probably do the math and figure this out myself but I am lazy)?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions. This website is great and I have learned a ton from it.
Mike

Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You can't take the reading at face value for FG. Alcohol affects the reading. I believe there is a formula for correcting this though. Try searching for alcohol refractometer correction.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5749 Times on 4117 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
You can't take the reading at face value for FG. Alcohol affects the reading. I believe there is a formula for correcting this though. Try searching for alcohol refractometer correction.
Yes, it sounds like the refractometer hasn't been corrected for the alcohol content. Did you take a FG reading with your hydrometer?

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

That should help out with the FG calculation, 1.040 has to be wrong, especially if it tastes good

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
MikeM
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

after correction my FG is acutally 1.029
not stellar but a lot better than 1.040

has anyone had a similar experience with Wyeast London ESB? I was reading in a catalong that it is highly flocculant and may require extra aeration. If I do this recipie again I may get an oxygen stone.

Thank You
Mike