Anyone have a leinenkugel's berry weiss clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
Had a six pack yesterday and loved it. Best commercial beer I've ever had. Didn't like their Octoberfest though. I checked Austin Homebrew Supply for their list of clones and struck out. Checked a few Google searches and struck out too.

Honestly I'm shocked that a homebrewer would love this beer, as it seems to be more like smirnoff ice than craft beer to me. It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find a clone. But, to each his own, and if you want to brew it I can help a bit.
I've been to the Leinenkugel brewery, and this is what I know:
All of their beers, except the Big Eddie series, are lagers. This beer is made with the same recipe as their Honey Weiss, minus the honey and with a flavor extract syrup added to the beer after pasteurization. This is the difficult part, because any flavor you add will probably be fermented out to some extent.
So, a clone? 2-row malt, maybe some 6-row, and some wheat,maybe 10 percent or so, cluster hops (according to their website), fermented with a lager yeast, add some blackberry extract to the secondary.

I'm also pretty shocked by this post. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. leinenkugel's berry weiss is on my all-time "worst beers list". Its basically a crappy wine cooler. But...if you like it...

I would say it's more than 10% wheat. Probably closer to 50-60% wheat and 40-50% 2-row. Throw in some rice hauls. Is it blackberry in the beer? I've haven't tried enough to figure it out. Either way...if you want a clone, I agree, use extract. If you want it WAAAY better than Leinny's, then add real fruit.

On a side note...if you enjoyed BW, then try adding half berry weiss and half summer shandy. It's something a buddy of mine tried at the brewery and he can't get enough. It tastes like pink lemonade.

I don't think the flavor is blackberry- it tastes more like blueberry to me. I think that a lighter 65% barley, 25%wheat, 10% honey beer, fermented with lager yeast at 50 degrees, with IBUs of about 15 would make an OK base. Then, after it's finished, some blueberry and/or raspberry extract to taste might work.

(Actually, the first (and only) time I had that beer, I keep saying, "this reminds me of something!" Later it hit me- It's Fruity Pebbles!)

Edit- I just remembered that it's NOT the Berry Weiss that I thought tasted like Fruity Pebbles- it's the Sunset Wheat. Same beer (Leinies has the same base beer for 3-4 of their beers) but a different flavoring. Sorry about getting them mixed up!

I don't think the flavor is blackberry- it tastes more like blueberry to me. I think that a lighter 65% barley, 25%wheat, 10% honey beer, fermented with lager yeast at 50 degrees, with IBUs of about 15 would make an OK base. Then, after it's finished, some blueberry and/or raspberry extract to taste might work.

(Actually, the first (and only) time I had that beer, I keep saying, "this reminds me of something!" Later it hit me- It's Fruity Pebbles!)

Edit- I just remembered that it's NOT the Berry Weiss that I thought tasted like Fruity Pebbles- it's the Sunset Wheat. Same beer (Leinies has the same base beer for 3-4 of their beers) but a different flavoring. Sorry about getting them mixed up!

Yes the Sunset Wheat is straight up Fruity Pebbles, Bleh. I opened one by accident one time when going for something else out of the sampler pack, I didn't have to look at the bottle when I opened it, I new I had grabed the wrong one from the moment I smelled the fruity pebble aroma.

Anyway, I think that in order to truly clone this beer, you are going to need a little more than just your standard homebrew extracts. The extract that you get at the homebrew store (if those are the ones that everyone is reffering to) are just going to add an aroma and give the perception of flavor. Pyramid does this with their Apricot Ale there is no actuall apricot flavor just aroma.

You are going to need to some how keep that berry flavor in the beer after fermentation. I would sugest killing off the yeast and using real fruit. That way it will retain the fruit sugars and give you that sweetness that is also found in the berry Weisse. Of course this would only work if you keg it. Otherwise when you bottle you would need the yeast to carb the beer.

I have also had decent luck with clod crashing my secondaries with the fruit in it and it helps to slow/halt any secondary fermentation caused by the introduction of new sugars. Did this in a Choco-Cherry Stout and it held its Cherry flavor, even in the face of all the strong stout characteristics.

Wow, I am surprised you all don't like this, but it does sound like it would be difficult to clone. Perhaps I need to spend time with better fruit beers. This was my first. I am going to make the Requiem Raspberry; hopefully I'll like that.

Honestly I'm shocked that a homebrewer would love this beer, as it seems to be more like smirnoff ice than craft beer to me. It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find a clone. But, to each his own, and if you want to brew it I can help a bit.
All of their beers, except the Big Eddie series, are lagers. This beer is made with the same recipe as their Honey Weiss, minus the honey and with a flavor extract syrup added to the beer after pasteurization. This is the difficult part, because any flavor you add will probably be fermented out to some extent.
So, a clone? 2-row malt, maybe some 6-row, and some wheat,maybe 10 percent or so, cluster hops (according to their website), fermented with a lager yeast, add some blackberry extract to the secondary.

Thank you. You think those flavor syrups you add at bottling time could help avoid fermenting out the use of extract? I don't know if these taste any good or not, or even if there's a blackberry.

Keep in mind, the fruit extract sold at your LHBS is usually a poor choice for most beers. With berry weiss, the fruit is clearly extract. Most fruit beers though, you'll want to use real fruit because the taste is 1000 times better. The extracts usually either give you a taste or aroma, but not both. The only two that I've found that work nicely are peach and raspberry.

I agree with many of the other posters about the Berry Weiss being over the top. To me, it's like you made a shandy with beer and kool-aid. It's too sweet and too fruity.

IIRC the old advertising literature for that beer said it was blackberries, raspberries, and loganberries...I remember wondering what the heck a loganberry was. I'd go for a mixed berry blend and considering the amount that the berries overwhelm the beer, any dark berries would get you close.

Leinie's was the first craft beer I started to drink, but they do a lot of their beers over the top - Berry weiss is too much berry, sunset wheat (which I'll drink gladly, but there are better wits) is too fruity, the maple bock is good for one beer, but it's too mapley, etc.

I was going to make this for my father-inlaw as it is his favorite beer. Dont think I can bring myself to do it. How about a real beer recipe that is prettylight light.. maybe a Blackberry Pilsner? Getting it light enough will be my issue.

Having lived in Wisconsin for 3 years of my life, I can attest to the fact that quite a few people enjoy a Berry Weiss. I would, on occasion, do as others have suggested and ask for a "half and half" but using the Honey Weiss as the other half. That said, I think you may be hard pressed to find an exact clone of the beer. My suggestion is to focus on a honey weiss style recipe, and then go from there. Here is a thread I found with a recipie for a honey weiss clone. I have never attempted it, so be forewarned: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/leinenkugels-honey-weiss-clone-61094/

Seems like the general consensus is that the Berry Weiss is flavored with loganberries, blackberries and elderberries, although I very much doubt that any actual berries are used in the process now adays.

EDIT: Coincidentally, the following was on the "new posts" on the front page of this forum right after I posted this reply. It may be a good guidepost for you: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/berry-weiss-fermentor-130081/#post6351791

I see that this is an old thread, but if it helps anyone, the BW bottle has a picture of a raspberry and blackberry on it (see attached for closer up). Not sure if their extract is meant to mimic those flavors or not though.

And honestly there is no reason you can't enjoy it. I am drinking one right now and like it. Sure, it's more macro oriented, but you don't have to hate easy-drinking beers just because you like craft brew. On Tuesday I was drinking Lagunitas IPA and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, yesterday I was sipping a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, and today I'm having a Berry Wheat. If you have access to variety, try them all and enjoy it--I've been to a lot of countries where you only have one or two choices for beer. Whenever I get back I'm reminded how much we have. Plus this recipe would be a hit at parties where a lot of guests might not have the palate for an imperial IPA. ;)

20150320_155140[1].jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a troll thread.

/justkidding
/reallythough...

Back