Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Anyone have a leinenkugel's berry weiss clone recipe
Old 11-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

I agree with many of the other posters about the Berry Weiss being over the top. To me, it's like you made a shandy with beer and kool-aid. It's too sweet and too fruity.

IIRC the old advertising literature for that beer said it was blackberries, raspberries, and loganberries...I remember wondering what the heck a loganberry was. I'd go for a mixed berry blend and considering the amount that the berries overwhelm the beer, any dark berries would get you close.

Leinie's was the first craft beer I started to drink, but they do a lot of their beers over the top - Berry weiss is too much berry, sunset wheat (which I'll drink gladly, but there are better wits) is too fruity, the maple bock is good for one beer, but it's too mapley, etc.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...
Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread makes me lol

Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Default Not doing it now

Originally Posted by sconnie View Post
Honestly I'm shocked that a homebrewer would love this beer, as it seems to be more like smirnoff ice than craft beer to me. It doesn't surprise me that you couldn't find a clone. But, to each his own, and if you want to brew it I can help a bit.
I've been to the Leinenkugel brewery, and this is what I know:
All of their beers, except the Big Eddie series, are lagers. This beer is made with the same recipe as their Honey Weiss, minus the honey and with a flavor extract syrup added to the beer after pasteurization. This is the difficult part, because any flavor you add will probably be fermented out to some extent.
So, a clone? 2-row malt, maybe some 6-row, and some wheat,maybe 10 percent or so, cluster hops (according to their website), fermented with a lager yeast, add some blackberry extract to the secondary.
I was going to make this for my father-inlaw as it is his favorite beer. Dont think I can bring myself to do it. How about a real beer recipe that is prettylight light.. maybe a Blackberry Pilsner? Getting it light enough will be my issue.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Liked 209 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Having lived in Wisconsin for 3 years of my life, I can attest to the fact that quite a few people enjoy a Berry Weiss. I would, on occasion, do as others have suggested and ask for a "half and half" but using the Honey Weiss as the other half. That said, I think you may be hard pressed to find an exact clone of the beer. My suggestion is to focus on a honey weiss style recipe, and then go from there. Here is a thread I found with a recipie for a honey weiss clone. I have never attempted it, so be forewarned:

Seems like the general consensus is that the Berry Weiss is flavored with loganberries, blackberries and elderberries, although I very much doubt that any actual berries are used in the process now adays.

EDIT: Coincidentally, the following was on the "new posts" on the front page of this forum right after I posted this reply. It may be a good guidepost for you:
Started in a bucket now we're beer...
Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #15
Likes Given: 1

I see that this is an old thread, but if it helps anyone, the BW bottle has a picture of a raspberry and blackberry on it (see attached for closer up). Not sure if their extract is meant to mimic those flavors or not though.

And honestly there is no reason you can't enjoy it. I am drinking one right now and like it. Sure, it's more macro oriented, but you don't have to hate easy-drinking beers just because you like craft brew. On Tuesday I was drinking Lagunitas IPA and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, yesterday I was sipping a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, and today I'm having a Berry Wheat. If you have access to variety, try them all and enjoy it--I've been to a lot of countries where you only have one or two choices for beer. Whenever I get back I'm reminded how much we have. Plus this recipe would be a hit at parties where a lot of guests might not have the palate for an imperial IPA.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_155140[1].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	265183  
Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Official Spokesperson of Busch Light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Liked 3057 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1733

I'm pretty sure this was a troll thread.

Previous: Rye Saison
Next: Bourbon Oaked Vanilla Oatmeal Stout