buying a grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
So I am finally going to break down and buy a malt grinder. My homebrew stores grinder is constantly breaking and then the staff give you **** about it. Can someone give me advice on the best grinder out there for the best price. I just want to make sure what I buy is quality but not super expensive. The only one I really looked at is the one that is linked off of Beersmiths website. Does anyone have this grinder??

i have the same mill with the big hopper. just take the handle off and hook up an old drill. works like a charm. one of the best buys ive made :)

You must be talking about the Barley Crusher. A lot of people here have one including me. Its a good mill for a good price. IMO, there are probably better mills out there. The plus is that it comes assembled with a hopper. I had a problem with the main shaft being slightly bent. Some members have never had trouble while other members are plagued by faulty units. The customer service is excellent.

Also, make sure you invest in a low speedd drill. My POS cordless didn't have the juice to turn it.

I use a 1965 Black and Decker 1/2" drill. It takes all of it to do wheat and rye. I have a 3 roll Monster mill and love it. Gap stays put, but had to make the hopper. Any mill is better than no mill.

Sounds good...looks like I might get the one from beersmith then....where does everyone buy there bulk grain online?

Mill choice really depends on your budget and desire / ability to DIY. For $130 and up you can get a nice mill that is ready to crush out of the box. Much cheaper and acceptable alternatives exist if you want to tinker.

I am satisfied w/ my Corona style mill, but I am handy, and also realize this may not be the best choice for someone who prefers plug and play for a bit of $$.

I've got a Jack Schmidling malt mill...it's great. My HBS has been ysing one for 5 years now without problems. and they grind for a small brew pub + customers.

Back