Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > How long will white labs vial last?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
sconnie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long will white labs vial last?

I've wanted to try White Labs WLP515 for a while now to make a Belgian-style session ale (think a Belgian kolsch). The strain is only out in September/October, so I bought a vial, but I would rather wait until early spring to brew it. If I make a decent sized starter, would the yeast still be good?
Any experiences/opinions would be appreciated.

Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Bobby M recently did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/test...bility-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes. I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.

You just need first to apply the "sniff test" if it smell bad, especially if it smells like week old gorilla poop in a diaper left on the side of the road in the heat of summer.

Then make a starter, and if it takes off you are fine. The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

If yeast can be grown from a tiny amount that has been encased in amber for 45 million years, 45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale we really don't need to sweat too much about yeast viability....we just make starters.

Hope this helps.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Revvy. That's basically what I assumed, I just wanted someone else to say they had done it successfully to give me some encouragement.
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Fossilized Amber Ale? Awewome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

If yeast can be grown from a tiny amount that has been encased in amber for 45 million years, 45 million year old yeast ferments amber ale we really don't need to sweat too much about yeast viability....we just make starters.

Hope this helps.
So we can date beer making back 45 million years now because of the fossilized amber ale with yeast?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I was in my LHBS the other day buying yeast, and I bought a few of their 'expired' tubes a t a discount rate for slanting. These vials 'expired' in June, but the LHBS guy mentioned that he's revived vials up to 3 years old.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
um this sound slike jarrasic park did it first. ill read it now. the guy did it at calpoly in slo. crazyness. im 30 miles away.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
um this sound slike jarrasic park did it first. ill read it now. the guy did it at calpoly in slo. crazyness. im 30 miles away.
I wonder if I know the guy, that's my hometown. haha. I should make some pre-historic porter.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
especially if it smells like week old gorilla poop in a diaper left on the side of the road in the heat of summer.
Sounds like someone has "special knowledge".

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS just gave me expired vials for free. They expired in June I think. They told me to make a starter, but since it was a brett. strain, I decided just to pitch it directly on a gallon of an already fermented beer. Since it was free, and it's only a gallon, I'm not hugely invested at this point. We'll see.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
My LHBS just gave me expired vials for free. They expired in June I think. They told me to make a starter....
Lucky ducky!