Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > **NEW noob Recipe **

Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
aobolenskiy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default **NEW noob Recipe **

Hey Guys,

Sometimes a noob can come up with some ideas, and I had the ah ha last week. This is a total experiement but I wanted to share my fun, and keep a status report on the product.

Ingredients:

*1 gallon Whole foods pressed pasturized juice (doubles as a 1 gal carboy) better bang for the buck
*1 gallon Cranberry/Rasberry Kirkland signature juice from Costco
*1 cup Lipton black tea steeped
*2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
*Table Sugar
*Red Star Champagne Yeast

Here is what I did:

Took 1/3 juice out of the 1 gal bottle. Added steeped tea, lemon juice, and 1 cup sugar. Added 1/2 packet Red Star Champagne yeast. Shook like the dickens till everything was mixed. It has been sitting for a week now and is still bubbling strong.

My plan is to let this ferment out one more week and then it might accidentially freeze in a one gallon jug , or back sweeten a little if it is dry and bottle. Time will tell how it works out when I crash it in the cold.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
paperairplane
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Sounds good- I might skip the black jack freezing, but flavors sound to my taste.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
RyanK2
Recipes 

So, you listed 2 juices but only included one in your instructions. Did you use the apple or the cranberry, or both?
Bottled: Weihenstephan Hefe Clone, Kärcher Bock, Kölsch, Oktober Wheat, Simcoe Slam IPA, Apfelwein, Red Trappist Dubbel, Dunkleweizen, Simcoe Slam IIPA, Hoppy Hefe, Come All Ye Faithful Christmas Ale, Gingerbread Ale, Wits End Kristal Wit, Kärcher Haus Pale, Nocturia Black IPA......too many.

http://walledlakebrewing.blogspot.com

Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
aobolenskiy
Recipes 

Quote:
So, you listed 2 juices but only included one in your instructions. Did you use the apple or the cranberry, or both?
oops! sorry about the ommision of the cranberry/rasberry juice.

after adding the other ingredients what is left over in the carboy I added the rasberry/cranberry juice. (drained 1/3 of gallon applce cider, and added sugar, tea, lemon and cranberry/rasberry juice)

***UPDATE***
I tasted the concoction today, and it is starting to have a kick. It has a slight oaky flavor (I think it is the yeast), and residual sugar is still present. However, it was very smooth. I looked a little closer at the rasberry juice bottle and there is white grape juice in the mix with the others. I think this gave it a distinctive "wineish" taste. It is full of flavor though, and I like it. It is still bubbling away and I am letting it go the mile.

I will be trying the apple/pear juice from Costco next. I was thinking of using that as the main juice and adding the same ingredients. I was then thinking of using Pomegrante juice into the mix. I think that I will need to crash it early though, and not use lemon juce this time because pomegrante is already sour enough.

Reason: added status update