Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Had to dump a beer...

Old 11-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
bjzelectric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Had to dump a beer...

Sorry to all. I know its a shame but I tried my first rauchbier (Schenkerla) and it was awful. Way to strong of a smoke flavor for me personally but im sure some people love it. I had just ate a huge meal which prob didnt help. Anyone else try this brew?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts

The smoke fades over time. You should have kept it and just waited a few months.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's like trying an IPA before ever tasting a mild pale ale. If you acclimate to a smoked porter, the rauch grows on you. I can't drink a whole glass of the stuff though. You've got to share it.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I can drink a whole bottle myself. The wife hates it. I had one with a sardine (in mustard sauce) and onion on rye sandwhich. Awesome combo!!! However my wife refused to kiss me afterwards.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't had this particular beer, but I do have a Rauchbier of my own that was 75% Rauchmalt. It's certainly different, but I liked it.

I've dumped every pumpkin beer I've ever tried. I'm hoping that someday I'll find one that I can drink.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I've dumped every pumpkin beer I've ever tried. I'm hoping that someday I'll find one that I can drink.
I'm with you on this one, smoked beer I can share (12 oz is too much), but pumpkin beers get dumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
I haven't had this particular beer, but I do have a Rauchbier of my own that was 75% Rauchmalt. It's certainly different, but I liked it.

OB's Rauch was definitely tasty, and actually quite balanced for the level of rauchmalt in it.

As for pumpkin beers, I've had some tasty ones, but they're usually in the minority as I don't particularly care for overdoses of cinnamon. Had a Brooklyn Post Road hit the drain just recently. What an abortion of a beer.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Dubcut
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
OB's Rauch was definitely tasty, and actually quite balanced for the level of rauchmalt in it.

As for pumpkin beers, I've had some tasty ones, but they're usually in the minority as I don't particularly care for overdoses of cinnamon. Had a Brooklyn Post Road hit the drain just recently. What an abortion of a beer.
I'm glad you said that about post road. I had been feeling like that beer has been getting rediculous leg humping and for what? Way too much corriander. Seriously though, shipyard pumpkin ale is the best. Just a great seasonal beer. Shipyard ftw.
bucket -
keg 1 - Saison
keg 2 -
keg 3 -
keg 4 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 5 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 6 -

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I love Schenklera Märzen myself, but it is an occasional pleasure because the smoke can quickly become overbearing. The Weizen, on the other hand, is revolting - smoky phenols and yeast phenols do not play well together.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I also am not a fan of the pumpkin beers, but the Shipyard one was subtle enough to be tolerable. I wouldn't buy it, but if someone offered me one and there was no alternative, I would drink it. I would not go for two though.