light year away... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > light year away...

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
I wish there were more hardcore science shows like this on TV. The Universe is OK, but it's kinda grade school. I want a miniseries on dark matter, or a whole season on quantum physics.
I'd love to see something like this as well. I enjoy The Universe, but it is usually pretty elementary. There are a number of good videos available on youtube that go into more detail.

As for the scale of things, you're right - it is absolutely amazing.

[youtube]BS88G5WBcfQ[/youtube]

Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #22
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StunnedMonkey View Post
It's turtles all the way down.
lol .

Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
jkarp

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
A great restaurant. You've never been there?

Mr. Reg Nullify and his Cataclysmic Combo - one of my favorite bands!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #24
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

And that's just the 'space' aspect but the 'time' aspect is equally mindboggling. Advanced civilizations, way more advanced than us, could have come and went many times over in this universe.

What if we knew that our planet was going to end relatively soon? What could/would we do? Perhaps build some sort of spacecraft and load it with certain hardy forms of primitive life such that we could send it on a several-hundred (if not several-thousand) year trip in an effort to 'seed' that planet with life? Maybe that's what happened to earth billions of years ago. OK...maybe that's a stretch.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Joeywhat
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Dearborn Heights, MI
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I always hate thinking about this stuff...makes my head explode from thinking too hard

What always gets me is thinking about just how small humans...or even our planet is in the grand scheme of things. We're just miniscule molecules and atoms in the big picture - then start thinking about the individual atoms that make us up and our planet! Just how infinitely small THOSE are...and compare that to the vastness of the universe as a whole...

I just don't think it's possible to understand and realize the total number of atoms in the universe. Can the number even be written? Surely there is no comparison for us to comprehend the vastness of their numbers...I just looked up how many atoms (approximate) every human is made up of...it's 7x10^27...that's a 7 with 27 zeroes after it...then multiply that by 6 billion...and that's just the atoms for HUMANS on a SINGLE planet in the ENTIRE universe!

OK I think I see smoke now...

Old 11-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
And that's just the 'space' aspect but the 'time' aspect is equally mindboggling. Advanced civilizations, way more advanced than us, could have come and went many times over in this universe.

What if we knew that our planet was going to end relatively soon? What could/would we do? Perhaps build some sort of spacecraft and load it with certain hardy forms of primitive life such that we could send it on a several-hundred (if not several-thousand) year trip in an effort to 'seed' that planet with life? Maybe that's what happened to earth billions of years ago. OK...maybe that's a stretch.
Interesting thing to think about. Here's a question for ya. What good does it do humans to seed another planet with primitive life such as bacteria? Let's say that we even had a target planet in mind (or a moon) and where able to nail it, once we're all dead, it doesn't really matter. I know it sounds Nihilist but I do think that our value on human life is only relevant in the context of the living. In the minutes preceding a complete extinction event such as a meteor impact or our sun dying, I wouldn't feel the least bit of comfort knowing a yeast spore is on its way to a planet, even if the planet was made of 50% maltose.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #27
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Interesting thing to think about. Here's a question for ya. What good does it do humans to seed another planet with primitive life such as bacteria? Let's say that we even had a target planet in mind (or a moon) and where able to nail it, once we're all dead, it doesn't really matter. I know it sounds Nihilist but I do think that our value on human life is only relevant in the context of the living. In the minutes preceding a complete extinction event such as a meteor impact or our sun dying, I wouldn't feel the least bit of comfort knowing a yeast spore is on its way to a planet, even if the planet was made of 50% maltose.
I dunno...the thought of a new civilization, making beer, billions of years in the future because we seeded Maltosia with Chico yeast just sounds kinda cool.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #28
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
The next star is so far away that we'd need to reproduce aboard the starship along the way, or go cryogenic. Which option sounds more fun to you?

Anyway, the size of space is not that big a deal after you invent an FTL drive.
Relativity saves us there, just get the ship up close to the speed of light and you'll be at the next star before ya know it.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 609 Times on 404 Posts

Imagine if this planet-seeded population was beer. Living, thinking, loving beer.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #30
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Connecticut
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

This reminds me of that trippy chapter in one of Papazian's books about wort blobs floating in space, each picking up a different yeast and becoming a different beer, or something like that.

-Steve
Planning: n/a