light year away... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > light year away...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
bluedragoon85
Recipes 

Nov 2007

Can you guys seriously absorb the fact that other solar systems, and galaxies are light years away from us? I mean, we will never reach a solar system in our life time, unless of course you live to be 100 years of age, which is fkn rare... I don't know, i've been drinking and thinking about this stuff cause i've been reading about this stuff cause it's really interesting, but it's crazy... we are but a a speck of dust in this universe... the thought that other people (aliens) are thinking the same thing is crazy... it's almost impossible alien intelligence doesn't exit, because the universe is pretty much infinite as far as we know...

I feel like I'm sinking into a a dream... the closest star to our sun is over 4 light years in distance... that is freaking crazy... and I'm here, I should fkn be able to like warp speed or something like that and say, hey what's up neighbor that is over 4 light years distance from me... how's the weather? how's the fkn mundane weather that isn't so mundane on this corner of the galaxy... I don't know, it's to much to absorb... i guess I will just stick to this, cause thinking beyond will blow my fkn brain to pieces, it's just to much...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts

When you ponder the vastness of space (which, quite frankly our brains cannot grasp) you realize how infinetly small we are.....

Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Have you ever tried to think about where the universe actually ends? Apparently it is unknown if it is finite or infinite. If it is finite, what is at the edge of it? Pretty trippy stuff to think about. I have pondered it before and it definetly screws with your head. It would be pretty cool to be around when and if (big if in my opinion) we every reach another planet in another solar system.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Underwood, Iowa
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You guys just leave the marijuana thread?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Now try working the other direction into the microscopic world around us...

Or...

It's a bit like how a lot more is known about some areas of the cosmos than the bottom of the oceans here on our own planet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
StunnedMonkey

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
Have you ever tried to think about where the universe actually ends? Apparently it is unknown if it is finite or infinite..
It's turtles all the way down.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Connecticut
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

How's this for getting a sense of scale?

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

its also crazy to think there is stuff out there that we cannot see because it is so far away that the light has not hit us yet

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
RGH
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Baumholder,RP, DE

That video reminds me of the PC game SPOR. Its a great game you should check it out.

end of discussion.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 607 Times on 402 Posts

If the earth is the size of a pea, the sun is the size of a 3' beach ball about 100 yards away.

If we want to do any serious space travel we're going to need a fraggin huge spaceship. Maybe we could use Pluto? It's not a planet any more.