Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Just tried my first lambic

Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I have this feeling that they liked the lambic they tried because of the way it tasted. What is the "you are not supposed to like that, try something else"?

I had a snob of an employee try a beer he thought was mine. He really liked it and even commented on specific things that he liked. He told me it was very good and he wouldn't change the recipe. When I told him it was Budweiser American Ale, he told me "I wish I would have known that first, I am not supposed to like that beer."

It is ok that they like the Lindemans, most people do. This does not take anything away from the "true lambics". Lambics do not have to taste like bile.

Forrest

Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thank you for the comment Forrest! Sometimes we forget that we brew because we enjoy the beer we brew. I like fruit beers, Ciders, and apparently a Lambic that is back sweetend. I also enjoy some porters, stouts, lagers, and hefeweizen's, and just about everything else I taste from a quality brewmaster.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I have this feeling that they liked the lambic they tried because of the way it tasted. What is the "you are not supposed to like that, try something else"?

I had a snob of an employee try a beer he thought was mine. He really liked it and even commented on specific things that he liked. He told me it was very good and he wouldn't change the recipe. When I told him it was Budweiser American Ale, he told me "I wish I would have known that first, I am not supposed to like that beer."

It is ok that they like the Lindemans, most people do. This does not take anything away from the "true lambics". Lambics do not have to taste like bile.

Forrest

Great insight, Forrest!!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #24
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post

Forrest
Here Here !!Prost to Forrest!!

and to some you , how about we dial the snobery back a few clicks.
drinking something that most people people think taste like puke does not make you elite, and calling lindermans BCM is just about the dumbest thing i have ever heard here (got some no-rinse peepee sanitzer to go with that) for my self, and I think many of the better informend brewers here, The distain for Bud-BCM is because of the monopolistic strangle hold over the American beer market they have spent billions of dollors mantaining, and the predatory nature they pursued to crush competition, diversity, and consumer choice. I dont dislike them just because they make a lousy beer that would be silly, and in fact the do make many high quality products , myself I have a weekness for Michelob Lager, I think on tap it is just wonderfull but you dont see it much.

Cheers

trig Likes This 
Old 11-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #25
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, I like Lindemans and I like lambics that taste like "bile and puke" as well Same as I like sweet stouts and IIPA's.

I've had good luck -- according to my wife, at least, who loves Lindemans -- at just fruiting the heck out of a pLambic. It's not gonna be sweet, but the "fruitiness" is still there. I've had the best luck with using pure Brett L. and mixed berries. It's got a nice "bite" but is slightly dry and "refreshing." I'm more a fan of "funk" than "sour" and the pure Brett seems to work for me. Also, in my experience, all brett beers are ready to drink much, much quicker. Yes, they get more "complex" with age, but an all brett "fruit beer" can be ready to drink in 6 months or so.

YMMV.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
PiMaxC
Recipes 

I'm curious what a fruit sweetened beer made with Wild Devil's Brett strain could taste like.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm curious where in this thread I said that lindeman's was not good.

I said it was not a lambic.

There is a big difference.

Quote:
This does not take anything away from the "true lambics". Lambics do not have to taste like bile.
The above quote is much more snobbish and down-putting than anything I have said in this thread.

I agree that Lindemans is tasty, but It is not lambic, and if you go out to a beer store and buy a Kriek Boon expecting that it is going to be sweet because it is a lambic, then you are in for a big, probably unpleasant, surprise.

Labeling lindemans as a lambic is about as misleading as labeling J.W. Lees as an IIPA

Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #28
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I guess the question is whether Lindeman's has yeast added to the brew or rather it is spontanisoutly (spelling) fermented.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #29
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
and calling lindermans BCM is just about the dumbest thing i have ever heard here

Cheers
Please don't warp my words. I didn't call Lindermans BMC. I called it "kind of the BMC of the lambic world". Big difference. Of course Lindermans isn't sold or marketed like BMC but it is by far the most well distributed in the "lambic world" largely because of its very fruity flavor that makes it appealing to a wider market. Just like the "drinkability" of BMC makes it appealing to a wider market. Lindermans is so common anymore that I can get it in my local grocery store in middle of nowhere Montana. I'm very happy for Lindermans success, but I wasn't wrong to encourage the poster to try other lambics that have smaller market appeal and therefore much more complexity.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lindemans is good.... but nothing compares to a canitllion!!!

claphamsa on untappd