Wee Heavy Smoky Roasty Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuoply

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)
Yeast Starter
I used a 1 liter starter for 12 hrs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
30.9 IBU
Color
17.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
After a couple of months, a smoky flavor starts to come out in the beer.
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.99 %
1.67 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.19 %
0.83 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.26 %
1.67 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.83 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.66 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 18.99 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F

This beer definitely gets better with age, but is drinkable right away! It's a very easy beer to brew; one of my first all grains and I've brewed it a couple times since. A nice fall and winter beer :mug:

This looks like a good recipe, I think it might be next on my brew list... I gotta find something to do with the slurry from the wee heavy I just did.

Anyone else brew this? Any notes, comments, changes? Anyone have a pic of it in a glass?

tuoply said:
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.99 %
1.67 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.19 %
0.83 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.26 %
1.67 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
0.83 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.66 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 18.99 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water and heat to 168.0 F

This beer definitely gets better with age, but is drinkable right away! It's a very easy beer to brew; one of my first all grains and I've brewed it a couple times since. A nice fall and winter beer :mug:

[email protected]

Just brewed this today. Love the color! My OG was 1.052. Any suggestions on the time in the carboys/keg before drinking?

Just brewed this today. Love the color! My OG was 1.052. Any suggestions on the time in the carboys/keg before drinking?

Sorry for the really late reply, but I typically keep this (and all beers) in the primary carboy for 3 weeks before kegging. I then keg and force carb for at least a week and usually two.

For this particular beer, longer is better as it mellows and melds with age. That said, the longest it's lasted has been a few months...

Quick update: So I brewed this again with white labs Edinburgh yeast... wyeast is definitely the one to stick with. Much better taste

Brewed this a few weeks ago. Hit the OG bang on, and the FG came down to about 1.01, so I should be ballpark 7% ABV. I used Clarity-Ferm in the primary. My re-done all-grain setup made this brew day a breeze. Bottled it today and it smells GOOOOOOD. It's gonna be really hard to wait for these to age. I'll try to remember to post a pic of this beer in a glass in a few weeks. Thanks for the awesome recipe, tuoply!

I don't see any smoked malts in the recipe, so I assume its the yeast that gives it the smokey flavour then?

I don't see any smoked malts in the recipe, so I assume its the yeast that gives it the smokey flavour then?

I was wondering the same thing. I have a really similar recipe except for the addition of 3/4# of smoked peat malt (10-gal. batch). I am looking for just the hint of smoke flavor. Thanks for any input.

Chuck

Greetings,
I would like to try this but down here our ambient temps are a bit scorching. The closet I normally store my primary carboy is static around 74 degrees. Winter it get's down to 65. Should I wait until then or is there another yeast that may work? What will the higher ambient temps do to the primary cycle besides make it go much quicker?

Greetings,

I would like to try this but down here our ambient temps are a bit scorching. The closet I normally store my primary carboy is static around 74 degrees. Winter it get's down to 65. Should I wait until then or is there another yeast that may work? What will the higher ambient temps do to the primary cycle besides make it go much quicker?

If it gets too warm you can get some fussel alcohol which creates a "hot flavour", iirc.

Check the recommended temps for the yeast strain you plan on using and ferment accordingly.

Back