Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Setting Keg Pressure

Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
chode720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Setting Keg Pressure

I am new to kegging and only have 3 batches kegged under my belt and have a quick question about getting the keg to the right pressure.

I wanted to put the keg on 13 PSI. I disconnected the gas line, set the regulator to 13 PSI and then reconnected it to the keg. Well this morning, 12 hours later, its only reading at 11 PSI. I assumed that if i set the regulator to the pressure I wanted and then hooked it up, it would eventually equalize to the pressure I set.

Now this isnt a big deal at all, but I'm just wondering what is the best/correct way to get the keg to the pressure I want. Should I hook it up to the keg and then dial in the pressure?

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have noticed that when it comes time to carbonating your beer in kegs, its alwasy best to make small adjustments to the regulator and then allow the regulator atleast a day to adjust. If you move the regulator from cold to room temp or vice versa, it will be affected. After one year of kegging, I'm finally getting a feel for the right carb levels. For me, even a 1 psi up or done is noticeable in terms of head/foam control.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can set the reg to 30 psi. but if I put 6 kegs on the one line there;'s no way it'll stay there.

my suggestion is to now that it is plugged in and good, set it to 13 and itll be fine

Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
I have noticed that when it comes time to carbonating your beer in kegs, its alwasy best to make small adjustments to the regulator and then allow the regulator atleast a day to adjust. If you move the regulator from cold to room temp or vice versa, it will be affected. After one year of kegging, I'm finally getting a feel for the right carb levels. For me, even a 1 psi up or done is noticeable in terms of head/foam control.

Okay, thats what I was thinking. The keg was carbonated and then stored before my old tank ran out. I just put the new tank in the fridge yesterday too. I'll check it tonight and adjust as needed.....

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye