two q's: reuse yeast that rose to 73; spice a boring beer? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > two q's: reuse yeast that rose to 73; spice a boring beer?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
leoglenwood
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Medford, MA

I made a pale ale with White Labs 007 with the intention of then brewing a barleywine on the yeast cake, but the yeast rose from 67 to 73 and the pale ale smells quite estery and a hint of fusel today on day 5, in addition, my brewhouse efficiency was too high (I guess I should be pleased) and the beer was 1.063, instead of 1.054, so for these two reasons, high OG and sorta high temp, should I not reuse it to make a big beer?
or is it fine, and I can brew a big barleywine and it won't make a difference?

and also, since the pale ale tastes a little off, is there a way to make my 5 gallons of sorta fruity, not bitter enough, not malty enough (the dry ale yeast) into something more palatable? raspberries?

thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Oct 2009
SJ
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

shouldn't be a problem you can always wash the yeast before using it again or just decant. When building starters you use temps up around 75*F and it doesn't transfer over to the brew once you decant it and use the slurry.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
leoglenwood
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Medford, MA

thanks a lot; I appreciate the response.
I'm new to using the British yeasts; I usually use White Labs 001 for pale ales but thought I should branch out.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
switched
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Kenosha, wi

I second everything OLDBREW said.. I made a lager starter at 70* (the beer is currently lagering) and could taste no off flavors from my samples. Although I did just make a starter from Wyeast British II and noticed that it smelled and tasted somewhat like vinegar, but still had a Cream Ale type taste... Which is good since I'm making a Cream Ale... Did you notice anything like that by chance?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
leoglenwood
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Medford, MA

I tasted it and it had a touch of fusel and a lot of fruit in the aroma but the taste is very clean... made me think that next time I'll use more crystal malt.

I am debating making this a spiced beer - candied ginger and honey or maybe just a load of Goldings dryhops to defeat the fusel smell.

The WL website says 65-70 is optimal fermentation temp... so I guess the British like it a colder...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
griffondg
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Just be careful trying to cover up off flavors. One of the best pieces of advice I've seen is that by doing so all you'll have will be a bad beer with fruit/spices which will still taste bad, just fruity.