Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > My first batch ....

Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #21
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe that would be krausen...you get a nice layer of yeast/trub in the secondary too, mine has packed down pretty hard although I don't know about that Muntons yeast you used.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
Androshen
Recipes 

It was still plenty cloudy when I racked it ... what if it is still cloudy when I go to bottle it? Do I let it stay in the secondary until it clears?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
Androshen
Recipes 

Well, I bottled last night ... just 40 bottles. I was hoping for closer to 50 - but, hey .... half of them are 16oz flippies so I guess I cannot kick.
Now just to wait the 3 weeks ..... hoping they are a success.
The flavor right now is OK so it certainly is not a failure.
Any idea how to get the beer to come out clearer? It is rather cloudy and I am anticipating sediment in the bottles.
Also ... the flavoring sold by home brew stores ... anyone know if they are GF or not? I am certainly hoping they are as I want to play with them ...

Bump

Old 11-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
Androshen
Recipes 

A.) Any idea how to get the beer to come out clearer? It is rather cloudy and I am anticipating sediment in the bottles.

B.) Also ... the flavoring sold by home brew stores ... anyone know if they are GF or not? I am certainly hoping they are as I want to play with them ...

Old 11-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #25
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
A.) Any idea how to get the beer to come out clearer? It is rather cloudy and I am anticipating sediment in the bottles.

B.) Also ... the flavoring sold by home brew stores ... anyone know if they are GF or not? I am certainly hoping they are as I want to play with them ...
A.) Did you pour everything from your brewpot into your fermenter? That might be why its cloudy- I did that with my first beer and it never cleared. Now I attempt to "whirlpool" with my spoon after it has cooled and I siphon from the side leaving most of the sediment behind. I don't know if secondary really helps clear gluten free beers anymore than leaving it in primary. Also, before you rack to your bottling bucket, move the fermenter to the space and let it settle again if you agitated it during the move.

B.) I'd look at the flavorings and try to contact the manufacturer.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #26
Androshen
Recipes 

Here is what my first experiment looked like!
My SWMBO went absolutely nuts!! I assume I can call it a success.
The flavor was very good and the color was beyond anything I hoped for!
We actually cracked this a week early ... but we could not wait!

You can see the sediment in the bottle .... I need to work on resolving that in future batches .....

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
Soybomb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks great, I just moved my first batch to a carboy after 2+ weeks in the bucket and I've found the same thing with there being a lot of sediment. Very little trub was left in the bucket. It looks like it doesn't want to settle out. If it doesn't clear in a week or two, I'll give it a small cold crash outdoors for a day or two and see if that helps.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #28
Androshen
Recipes 

I am gonna try leaving my next batch in the secondary alot longer ..... I am hoping to learn more about using clarifying agents as well - like I keep hearing about adding some sort of gelatin to help clear it up.