Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale - Page 92 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #911
Krovitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Quincy, MA
Posts: 582
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts


Just finished brewing this up with my lady friend. Long day today. My OG was a bit high at 1.070 but the hydro sample tastes good. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to see how it turns out.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #912
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Posts: 750
Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjay2000 View Post
Reno,

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe! Also thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

I decided to brew this a while back and read the entire thread. Then I went back through it last night and reread the whole thread. I brewed it up today and everything went smooth! The sample I tasted was great!

I can't wait to keg this! I'm already thinking about doing another batch next week to bottle and give away around Thanksgiving.

Thanks again!

Mpjay
You should just make a 15 gallon batch this recipe is awesome


__________________
Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #913
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
troyh's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 168
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Weird. I went away for the weekend and came back looking forward to having some of this. I poured a glass and there was absolutely no spice aroma or taste – it completely disappeared. It's like drinking a bland pale ale. What happened??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #914
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
Weird. I went away for the weekend and came back looking forward to having some of this. I poured a glass and there was absolutely no spice aroma or taste – it completely disappeared. It's like drinking a bland pale ale. What happened??
Aww crap that sucks. How do you feel about making a spice tincture to add to the keg?
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #915
kzimmer0817
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Athens, GA
Posts: 269
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Tonight will be day 7 in the fermenter. I've kept the ambient temp around 61-62. The adhesive thermometer strip on the Better Bottle has been 62-64. There was a lot of activity days 3-5. Minimal bubbling now. I stole a sample from the spigot this morning. Tastes great. My O.G. was 1.066. Today, it is 1.020. So, I'm getting close. Recipe calls for 3 weeks in primary, so I'm assuming that there's still some work for the yeast to do. I shouldn't be in a hurry to transfer it. For the past 2 days, I'm moving the fermenter temp up a bit. Supposedly, that enables the yeast to do a better job of cleaning up.

Looking forward to drinking and sharing this. I'm wondering if I should brew another batch of this as soon as I transfer to secondary in order to have plenty around.

So far so good for my first.
Keith

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #916
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
Tonight will be day 7 in the fermenter. I've kept the ambient temp around 61-62. The adhesive thermometer strip on the Better Bottle has been 62-64. There was a lot of activity days 3-5. Minimal bubbling now. I stole a sample from the spigot this morning. Tastes great. My O.G. was 1.066. Today, it is 1.020. So, I'm getting close. Recipe calls for 3 weeks in primary, so I'm assuming that there's still some work for the yeast to do. I shouldn't be in a hurry to transfer it. For the past 2 days, I'm moving the fermenter temp up a bit. Supposedly, that enables the yeast to do a better job of cleaning up.

Looking forward to drinking and sharing this. I'm wondering if I should brew another batch of this as soon as I transfer to secondary in order to have plenty around.

So far so good for my first.
Keith
I was at 1.020 after a week in primary as well. I'm using a lager yeast, so I'm doing diacetyl rest now for a few days, then I'll cold crash it for a few more days and keg.

Didn't catch much spice to it, but I'll try again after the D-rest/cold-crash. I plan to put a liter of it in a soda bottle and carb it with the carbonator, then try it. If there's not enough spice I'll just make a spice-tea and add it to the keg.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #917
mpjay2000
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Bakersfield, California
Posts: 47


Okay, I'm already thinking of making another batch of this but I have a few questions.

If I brew this on Friday, the first batch will have been in the fermenter for only 6 days. I started the temp at 60 and have been cranking it up 2 degrees every day and was going to stop when I hit 68 and leave it there for the next couple weeks.

Will I screw up the first batch if I drop the temp of my fermentation freezer back down to 60 for the 2nd batch and start the temp schedule over like I did for the first batch?

Should I just do the second batch at 68?

Should I just say "screw it" and go buy a case of Miller High Life?

As always thanks for the help!

Mpjay

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #918
Wild Duk
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 317

It will be fine. Temp is not critical after the initial ferment, and having been fermenting for 6 days I would think you are there...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #919
Chris7687
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 546
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


Hey guys,
Brewed two batches of this... one on 9/15 and one on 9/23, both were double pitched and both are in swamp coolers. The temp of the towel around the carboy is about 68*, so I am assuming with the evaporation it is about 65* in the carboy. Both still have airlock activity! Haven't taken a gravity reading, but just wanted to see if anyone else has this? Don't know how fermentation could still be going on after 2-3 weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #920
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
The temp of the towel around the carboy is about 68*, so I am assuming with the evaporation it is about 65* in the carboy.
....what exactly is evaporating?

And if the outside of your fermenter is 68 during the height of fermentation you can assume the beer itself is probably closer to 75. Yeast are living things and thus create heat when they do stuff.

Also, airlock bubbles aren't a sign of fermentation. Gravity reading is the only sure way to know if it's done.


__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i NEED DFH punkin ale clone davis119 Recipes/Ingredients 21 08-21-2013 07:44 PM
DFH Punkin Ale Punky_Brewer Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 17 11-27-2012 04:01 AM
dfh punkin milesvdustin General Beer Discussion 23 09-03-2011 02:41 AM
Punkin Chunkin MacGruber North East Homebrew Forum 8 09-11-2010 03:26 AM
Old Punkin Ale Beermaker General Beer Discussion 1 12-18-2005 01:51 AM


Forum Jump