Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale - Page 135 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #1341
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DrunkleJon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 8,101
Liked 2504 Times on 1762 Posts


I assume Hallertau and Hallertaur are the same hops, my LHBS had the one without the r.

According to http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php, try one of the following Liberty, Tettnanger, Mt. Hood, Vangaurd, or Tradition. Unless I am mistaken, you pretty much should be able to swap it out for any other German Noble hop variety



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #1342
Reno_eNVy
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,278
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


It's just a variation on spelling. For instance, the quote you posted has "Tettnanger" but I always leave off the "er"


__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #1343
daveooph131
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,112
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts


Got a question before brewing this weekend. This is such a long thread and the pages I read through I didn't see this asked....

Has anyone added the spices at bottling instead of as a 5min addition?
__________________
Scrat Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #1344
ChrisL_
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 231
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
Got a question before brewing this weekend. This is such a long thread and the pages I read through I didn't see this asked....

Has anyone added the spices at bottling instead of as a 5min addition?
If you prefer it, you could make a spice tincutre by adding the spices to a couple of ounces of vodka. Then you can add that to the bottling bucket. The advantage of this is that you can slowly add in the tincture and check out the taste to dial in the exact spice level you want.

I am in the middle of doing a variation on this idea where I put in about 3/4 of spices in the boil so the flavors can blend while sitting in my fermenter. But I also have a spice tincture ready should I want to dail up the taste a bit more.

Hope this helps.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1345
beerluvva
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


apologies if this was already asked, but I recently bottled my first pumpkin ale (extract based) and my method of cooking the pumpkin was to bring it to a boil in some water then back off to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes, adding the pie spice during the simmer. Combined this mixture in the brewpot with the extract wort at the start of the boil.

Smelled very good into the fermenter, but wondering if I missed something by not roasting the pumpkin first?

At bottling, still smells nice and has that pumpkin essence to it, though I think I may have over hopped for this style... Hoping the hops will mute a little as it conditions...

Any opinions? Shall I pray to the Great Pumpkin?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #1346
daveooph131
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,112
Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_

If you prefer it, you could make a spice tincutre by adding the spices to a couple of ounces of vodka. Then you can add that to the bottling bucket. The advantage of this is that you can slowly add in the tincture and check out the taste to dial in the exact spice level you want.

I am in the middle of doing a variation on this idea where I put in about 3/4 of spices in the boil so the flavors can blend while sitting in my fermenter. But I also have a spice tincture ready should I want to dail up the taste a bit more.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - I think all stick with the true recipe then and add at 5min to go in boil.

However if its lacking ill be ready at bottling with more to add via your method.

I think this will accomplish what I'm looking for.
__________________
Scrat Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #1347
NMG318
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Winchester, VA
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
Thanks - I think all stick with the true recipe then and add at 5min to go in boil.

However if its lacking ill be ready at bottling with more to add via your method.

I think this will accomplish what I'm looking for.
I added the 1.5 Tbls in boil last year and after fermenting/tasting I added another tsp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #1348
D_Nyholm
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,262
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts


The amount of spice in this recipe is pretty perfect as is. Is adds a little spice and is no way overpowering. I hate overdone beers and this one is great so far after 2 weeks in the fermenter!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #1349
D_Nyholm
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,262
Liked 83 Times on 71 Posts


Quick question. Are you keeping this in primary for the standard 3 weeks? I am 2 weeks in and not sure if an extra week is all I need before cold crashing for a week and then kegging to age?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #1350
jaydog2314
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Lockport, IL
Posts: 753
Liked 118 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Quick question. Are you keeping this in primary for the standard 3 weeks? I am 2 weeks in and not sure if an extra week is all I need before cold crashing for a week and then kegging to age?
I did. 3 weeks primary 4 days secondary/cold crash 2 of which was with gelatin to drop of the yeast out.


__________________
On Tap: Belgian Blonde; ESB
Bottled: Winter Warmer(Yule Log Ale)
Primary: IPA
Secondary:
Up Next: TBD
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i NEED DFH punkin ale clone davis119 Recipes/Ingredients 21 08-21-2013 07:44 PM
DFH Punkin Ale Punky_Brewer Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 17 11-27-2012 04:01 AM
dfh punkin milesvdustin General Beer Discussion 23 09-03-2011 02:41 AM
Punkin Chunkin MacGruber North East Homebrew Forum 8 09-11-2010 03:26 AM
Old Punkin Ale Beermaker General Beer Discussion 1 12-18-2005 01:51 AM


Forum Jump