HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > another hazy beer

Old 11-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
beerbelay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default another hazy beer

I have 2 cases of a Dale's pale ale clone in the basement that is cloudy. I have put a few bottles in the fridge to see if the yeast will drop out but after 5 days no go. I have read a few posts with the search feature but I'm not getting much. The flavor is a little off. Maybe bubblegum or banana.Is it a loss? Thanks for any imput.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

1) How long has it been in the basement and at what temperature?
2) Did you use finings in your boil (irish moss, whilfloc?)

Also, putting the beer in the fridge for 5 days won't always give you clear beer. "Chill haze" can persist for a couple weeks in cold.

Just recently found out the glory of gelatin. To find out about it, go to this thread (gelatin finings) and follow BM's instructions. The last post is of my pumpkin ale (notorious for being hazy) after a little over 24 hours in the secondary with gelatin.

Hope that helps!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
beerbelay
Recipes 

I haven't used finings yet but do use irish moss on a reg. basis. I'm thinking that I forgot to put it in this time now that you mention it. If this is the case how do I remedy the situation, fridge for a couple of weeks?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
ZackWylde
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put it in the fridge for a few weeks forget about it. Then come back and have a look. My currently tapped keg had Chill Haze for about 3 weeks its finally clear now that the keg is just about empty.

How long has it been conditioning for? If its fulled Carbonated and put it the fridge for a week. I highly doubt its yeast more then likely Protean that is still in suspension.

The off flavors my be from Easter's from high Fermentation temps or yeast that where stressed in some other way.
Primary 1:#10 American Wheat
Primary 2:
Kegged Haus Ale, Oktoberfest

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
beerbelay
Recipes 

Been conditioning for 2 weeks. Basement temp. 65 ferm. temp. 67. I'll try the fridge. Thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
ZackWylde
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 weeks are you sure its done carbonating there is no set time frame for this everyone's conditions are different. The yeast my still be eating the sugars. It can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks depending on yeast strain temp and type of sugar/dme used. It sounds like you beer is still pretty young give it time. Time will fix most things in beer
Primary 1:#10 American Wheat
Primary 2:
Kegged Haus Ale, Oktoberfest

Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Let them sit longer in your fridge. Like, another four weeks. I'll bet you the appearance and the flavor will improve.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
beerbelay
Recipes 

O.K. thanks. First time its happened so ya know. I'll be patient. I have some other good ones to drink thanks to all of the advice I get here. I'll put some money into the site as soon as business picks up.